Alfa Romeo Forum banner

You just dented a 15 year old Micra. What would YOU do?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my little lads nursery assembly this morning. Very cute.

When I got back to the carpark, I noticed straight away that my car wasn't where I had left it. It had rolled back on the very slight incline (barely noticable) and used another car as a bumpstop.

My heart sank. But then as I approached I realised my SW has a towbar. It had bumped the car and my car was fine. The other car though did have a small ball hitch sized dent on the lower rear metal valance.

This is a 15 year old Micra, without a straight panel anywhere. Its difficult to tell one dent from another. Never been washed and looks like a skip on the inside. What would you do.??

(A) Have a quick squint round.... see if you have any spectators.... and leggit when the coasts clear!

(B) Find a bit of scrap paper.... Jot down some random comment, tuck it under the wiper and then leggit.

(C) Jot down your contact details and leave them for the owner to make a claim.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Find a bit of scrap paper.... Jot down some random comment, tuck it under the wiper and then leggit.

Write down)- i am only writing this because someone is watching me

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I did exactly this last year. Went in the office and wronte my contact details, when I came out the owner was there so I explained what happend and gave him my details. Never heard any more of it.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did exactly this last year. Went in the office and wronte my contact details, when I came out the owner was there so I explained what happend and gave him my details. Never heard any more of it.
Probably not insured. Someone scraped my Vectra in Jan and was very insistant that it was done through insurance. I reckon she thought I was not insured and she would get away with it......... In the end she paid cash to me, as the Insurance companies were so slow.

S

·
0 Posts
Few years ago on a tight multi storey car park in Belfast, I dinged the rear quarter of a Hyundai Accent with my wing mirror (Citroen ZX at the time). Just a slight scratch about the size of a 5p
Left a note with my contact details nonetheless. Never heard anything back.

That same ZX, someone had left a huge dent in the offside rear door, no note left :mad::mad: Then one day I was off work ill with manflu, the next door neighbour rang the bell, she had hit the door at the other side. At this point I had given up, the dent wasn't as bad as the previous offside one, I kinda left it at that.

It shouldn't matter what age a car is, it is the courtesy. I would be peeved if someone thought:

"This is a 12 year old Alfa GTV, few scratches on it. Hadn't been washed in a few days and looks like a skip on the inside - dog blanket and a few CDs lying about."

I remember at Carrickfergus Tescos, came back to my Xantia, the nearside rear door moulding had been knocked off, some woman in an SUV with bumper at door moulding height parked right up close next too it, lifting her offspring out and seemed to be snickering and giggling. I wasn't happy. :mad::mad:

Worst that can happen, couple hundred quid to buy them a new 15 year old Micra :) Most likely they wont care if the car is in that state.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left a business card with a note on the back.

Just realised its now persisting it down...... so they will probably get back to a mushy blob on the screen too.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Sod it! Its a piece of junk! The car is probably only worth £500 at best and if you go throught the insurance they could write it off and all for something that looks like a wheelie bin! If it was a decent car by all means leave your info (that is if you cant get away with just driving off ;) ) but I wouldnt bother. I know what your going to say "different if it was your car!" well yes it would be but whats to say that person wouldnt do the same to you eh?

I might or might not have put a dint in someones crappy old heap in the early hours and I might or might not have drove off, might have even felt a little guilty if had of done this but then again I didnt do it so not a problem ;)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I would like to think that if it were to happen to me, someone would have the decency to leave a note, even if only to say sorry.

As my 164 is 12 years old, is it to be regarded in the same way as a 15 year old Fiesta or Skoda? :rolleyes:

As has been said, at least one's conscience is clear. Yes, I would leave my details.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Just remembered, about 5 years ago I was in my Transit van and I got in it and started her up. I always leave all my vehicles in gear with the handbreak on but on this occasion just left it in gear. So I diped my clutch when I started in up and rolled back about a foot into the front corner of a rubbish old Clio, only smashed the indicator but I said I would pay out my pocket (I knew the person who's car it was and told them) £550 quid later it was sorted! Should have been written off but asoon as she got it back she sold it for £500 :mad: GRRR!

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Amen!

.... But shouldn't that read "Unto".... ?

i dunno english was never my thang!:lol:

The way i see it, my car is 8years old and in the eyes of many is a scrap bucket, but one mans junk in another mans treasure n all that.

Last year i had someone in Castlecourt Carpark hit my door so hard that it looked like someone hit it with an armoured piercing bullet, it was hit so hard that it actually wrecked my window. They left all there paint in the door as well so now i'm suspicious of ALL SILVER CARS:lol: I am not a violent person infact i'm a complete softy but people disrespecting my most expensive purchase (i havent bought a house yet) in life really ****s me off:mad:

·
0 Posts
do onto others as you would have them do onto you.
+1 :thumbs: - my V6 is worth less than a grand in real money, but is priceless to me :D
Some **** left what I can only describe as a canyon c/w white paint scrape in the front passenger door the other day & I am still :mad: about it - it's my property that has been damaged by this selfish ******!! - OK my car aint perfect, but still in V good condition for an 11 year old car IMO

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My rear bumper kissed a parked cars front bumper whilst coming out of a parking space once :eek: I did stop and look to see if I'd done any damage but I hadn't so left it...

Some nob hit my bella (assuming whilst vacant & parked up at school on pickup/drop off) and didn't leave a note. I didn't realise it had happened until my sis pointed out that my headlight was blinding her :confused: I got Pat to check it and all the plastic mounts which holds the headlight had been snapped and there was a nice crack in the bumper :( Never got it sorted as no proof how or when it had happened and cant afford to make a claim off my insurance tbh :eek:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Would always leave my details. I have had a couple of my previous cars dinged a bit and never had anything left. Drives me mental as there is no need as you should takle responsibility. I have done it once, left my details and the woman contacted me and we sorted out without going through insurance. If it's not much and you have been OK with them most folk will be OK about you not going through insurance. I hate it getting done to me and couldn't bring myself to do it someone else if I hit their car.

J

·
0 Posts
given its condition i would have taken some pics to ensure they weren't trying to claim for something they were not entitled to :tut:

But yes i would have left details

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Someone bumped me at a roundabout once. There was no visible damage on either cars but I insisted on swapping details because you never know what will fall off on the way home. She couldn't see the point of this excercise and was a bit miffed, probably thought I was going to rip her off. No point taking risks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts