Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like this guy, straight to the point and no B.S attitude. Quite funny aswell to boot.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I've come across him before, he debunks opinions on all things automotive, tyres, petrol, oil.

He's amusing some of the time.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,083 Posts
It's not clear if he's driven the car he's spent 14 minutes dissing, but concedes he thinks it looks good and probably drives well. Of the model itself, he makes no criticism but - rightly - moans about VW reliability and customer service generally; more so, he drubs the magazine for awarding it COTY because the mag didn't take into account real consumer issues like reliability and customer service. Maybe it did... and maybe VW was the best of a bad bunch?

As for journos being on the thick end of 150k AUD's worth of travel and other perks... while I don't have any knowledge of the OZ press or its publishing industry, I know that when launching a product to press internationally, you can either fly them into one venue, or do something locally. The latter usually costs more, plus it means senior products bods have to make multiple trips, rather than one. The 'trips' aren't jollies for the press and their families to a venue of their choice - it's a press trip to the place of the launch (admittedly, somewhere nice; you wouldn't invite guests to a shi5hole, afterall.) He didn't really explain that, and it is a shame that he didn't elaborate more on what other 'perks' motoring press in OZ received to the tune of 150k AUD...I'd be interested to hear that...maybe they get their mortgage paid or their kids' school fees paid by VW...?

I've seen a few of his videos before and while I think he makes some interesting points, his sensational delivery sometimes enables him to make some shock or generalist comments that he doesn't always explain or justify. In a way, he's as adept at perpetuating myths as the motoring press he moans about.. ;-)

I think though a chunk of folk will still think the motoring press - or any press - are bought (probably driven by the fact that some national press could bought...which doesn't help my case, granted). For example, I secured some coverage in a national paper this week. I read the Comment section to see what Joe Public thought of the subject of the article, and at least one response - stated 'this is an advertorial; why not just say so', while another said 'that was a paid for puff piece.' Sigh. If only getting coverage was as easy as that, I wouldn't have to slog my guts out. Maybe it is done that way in OZ. I dunno. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts