Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I tried to start my car this morning and it was really struggling to turn over, the more i tried the slower it would turn over to the point where nothing happened. I have been having trouble starting my car over the past 6 months or so, it would start fine for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden it wouldn't start at all, it would turn over fine but wouldn't start. I have also noticed that it generally takes about twice as long to start as normal, its a small difference but it is noticeable.

I am in work this morning but I am going to try again later and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it starts no problem.

Any ideas? Maybe something for the garage to sort out!

Thanks

Kryton

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi k9d, I live in Burnham-On-Sea.

I thought it might be the battery but wasn't sure as it isn't even a year old!

FYI, I am not going to have internet access for the next 6 hours as I am working but I'll reply after 4.

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Ahh, deepest Somerset then, I'm near Frome the other side of Somerset so I'm afraid your not in the I'll pop over with me jump leads sort of range, sorry.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok np lol ;)

I tried to start my car again but it was almost completely dead so i think i need a new battery. Really annoying as the battery I have isn't very old. I could recharge it but i don't have a charger and it looks like a tacky piece of c**p anyway, was quite cheap from my local garage but I had no choice but to replace it as my old one was completely dead, even the RAC man couldn't get it going.

I think I might get one from halfords, maybe a bosch silver one, costs £99 for the heavy duty one and £114 for the standard one (seems odd the standard one is more expensive). Could get one of the halfords batteries which are a little cheaper but i like the bosch brand, i know i'm getting something good and it comes with a 5 year guarantee. All I need to do is get the car started to get it up to halfords lol.

What do you think?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If you get a new battery then I recommend that you get an 063 type and not an 075 type (as per the OEM battery). The 063 type is smaller / lighter and has more than enough juice to crank over the engine even on the coldest of days. They're also cheaper than the 075 type.

I've got a Bosch Silver in mine (an 063 type) which I got from Halfords although they're not the cheapest place to get them but I needed one urgently so I had no choice but to pay their premium prices. The one you want is the Bosch S5001 (063 type) which has a 52Ah rating (Halfords label this the HSB063 and add an extra years guarantee so you get 5 instead of the usual 4 that Bosch offer). Halfords charge £84.99 for this battery but you can get one for £61.94 with delivery from Max Autoparts...

BOSCH SILVER PLUS S5001 063 12V HEAVY DUTY CAR BATTERY

If it dies within 4 years (or 5 if you get it from Halfords) for any reason then you get a replacement battery free of charge under the terms of the guarantee as long as you have the original receipt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had one of the same make of batterys in my last car for a couple of years & it never let me down even with the scottish weather would recomend

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the bosch 063 from halfrauds last night, I would have got it cheaper from the other link but I really need to get my car up and running asap so decided to pick it up today. Just need to put it in and make sure it works.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys,

Managed to get the battery in today and it started up straight away. It is running a lot better too :)

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts