Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 05 plate 156 2.0 JTS the Friday before last, and the past few days it has already started playing up on me (only 7k miles on the clock).

The car seems to sound different between 1-2k revs (more like an electric whir) and it doesn't seem to have the same alfa sound.

I have spent 30 mins trying to work out all the noises from the car.

This is my conclusion :-

At idle , if I shut myself in the car and just let the car idle... for a few seconds I can feel the seat and clutch pedal shake a little *happens infrequently* (even my dad who drives a 15 year old cavalier picked up on it!) If I then rev the car to 2k revs and let it drop back down again...the car judders.

I popped the hood and there appears to be an "electrical rotating" noise (is this standard for a JTS? as I understand they are super high pressure engines)

The car is going in for warranty work about mid-week, but would like to have an idea about what could be wrong with her :(, and give the garage an idea on where to start!.

Could it be the balance belt? (I hear that these have a tendency to slacken, thus changing engine note and increasing vibrations in the car)

·
Registered
206 Posts
The idler pulley on your timing belt apparently is deteriorating since it is plastic and has proven to be troublesome. Get a metal replacement and reset to proper belt tension. Engine balance is done using counterweights. Replace the belt at 35,000 Km with a performance timing belt for longer life. On the 156, the stock belt is weak.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks yankalfisti, I will mention that possibility as well.

I am amazed that the part could go after only 7k miles (the car was only made in June 05 !)

·
Registered
206 Posts
From what I can determine, there isn't any life expectancy data on those plastic pulleys. What you are hearing is probably bearing noise from the pulley.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to update this thread, Alfa determined it was one of the tensioners on the cambelt, so replaced the whole lot :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts