Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Very interesting David. Comprehensive cover driving other cars is unusual.
Mine's up mid June and I just got my first ever penalty points.:crying:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well it looks like my insurance saga is finally over.
After spending a few hours on Friday ringing around every and all insurance companies and brokers I finally got a quote I could live with, just. This was a fully comp quote from the AA of €1026. Not at all great and a big jump over last years premium.
Then the real fun started. I contacted my current broker looking for my no claims certificate who informed me that due to the nature of my policy with them (limited mileage) that I wasn't getting a no claims certificate. So now I thought that was it, there's no way I can insure the car, and was contemplating either selling it or putting it into storage somewhere. Neither option were attractive to me.
I was fortunate that my nearest and dearest had always put me down as a named driver on her policy and that was my salvation. After hunting around online on Sunday evening I got a fully comp quote for €850 from First Ireland, ironically the AA couldn't provide me with a quote. I've always used First Ireland and found them great but for some reason when I got the Spider they were very expensive and even last year on my renewal of the 159 policy they were dear.
The whole experienced wasn't nice and has left me with a even nastier taste in my mouth when I think of the car insurance industry. The one saving grace were the people on the phone, always nice, chatting and helpful.

And I can now attend the Ti Autos track day, nice one.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm also currently insurance shopping at the moment & it looks like I'll be renewing with the AA (Aviva policy), BTW their breakdown has increased from €84 to €96 per year which needs to be factored in as their insurance policies don't include breakdown cover ;)

I've got about 20 quotes now & the next best quotes I've got are from Post Insurance (previously One Direct) & Aviva, slightly different policies though.
The AA policy gives comprehensive driving of other cars (with exceptions), but the AA charge €25 for temporary transfers. The AA Full No Claims Protection option only gives 1 unlimited claim in 3 years, the others give 2 in 3 years.
You should look into the ADAC (german equivalent of the AA).
For 88 euro a year, they'll cover you around all of europe. Even in Ireland, there cover is far better than the AA and if you break down, they'll send the AA to you
They insure the driver for any breakdown and not the car which is quite decent as well

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
You should look into the ADAC (german equivalent of the AA).
For 88 euro a year, they'll cover you around all of europe. Even in Ireland, there cover is far better than the AA and if you break down, they'll send the AA to you
They insure the driver for any breakdown and not the car which is quite decent as well
My understanding of the AA is that it's the person covered so even if you're a passenger in someone else's car you're covered?

·
Administrator
86,749 Posts
Correct (on the cover I have anyway), I've taken out my insurance with the AA & I'll be staying with the AA breakdown as you need to be a member of that to get the comprehensive driving of other cars on the AA insurance, it also gets you a discount on the AA insurance policy & a fuel card.

Sounds like ADAC might be a good option for anyone doing a euro road trip though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Shane byrne of dublin meets is the rep for the dublin area. Im out
Not a hope in hell I'm going to be associated with a load of gob ****es who think racing in an industrial estate is safe
I was hoping it would be organised by descend motorists,not hijacked by :censored:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I was hoping it would be organised by descend motorists,not hijacked by :censored:
Well seeing the "friends" of mine who are attending, it will be slammed bag everywhere

I wouldn't say hijacked. When the organiser set it up on Facebook, the idea was to have Irelands largest cruise to protest against the costs of insurance

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Judging by the organisers, there's a very high chance that this will end up doing nothing except showing the general public that young male drivers are irresponsible louts who earn every cent of the high premiums they have to pay. :(

Anyway... I got my most recent insurance through its4women.ie . It's actually "4 everyone", and they will both quote and insure male drivers for the same price (as they have to by law). Because they can't load the policies, instead they've used the time-honoured insurance technique of narrowly advertising their product at a low-claims demographic (women aged 30 upwards).

All insurance companies do it: Glo Health's ads look like they've for Nike; they're hoping that if you're not into sports you'll have mentally switched off before it gets to the bit where they say "we sell health insurance".

·
Registered
441 Posts
Reviving this as I just got my renewal "Invite" from the AA: 957.80 Euro; 257.80 dearer than last year, one more NCB year and of course, the 159 has now turned the magic "10 years old" and is obviously going to fall apart and become a death trap, regardless of the 900 Euro I just spent on new shocks and coils on all four corners to pass the NCT which, techinically, says exactly that the car won't fall apart (besides, drives great on the new shocks :D)...great stuff.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Why is it so expensive in Ireland to run a car?
Insurance is expensive because the industry is badly regulated and managed, and everyone is still paying the cost for a failed insurance company a few years ago. We also seem to be going in the American direction of suing willy-nilly for damages after accidents which adds to premiums.

Road tax isn't too bad providing you have a car registered after 2008 which produces little CO2. It quickly gets very expensive for more polluting cars and for older cars with larger engines. That's why our roads are predominantly populated with boring small diesel s***boxes. The more interesting older cars got exported to the UK when the regime was introduced. Vintage cars over 30 years old pay minimal road tax so if you want a big V8 then it makes sense to have an old one.

New (and imported) cars are subject to VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) on top of VAT. This too depends on CO2 emissions and can be up to 36% of the car's value. This inflates new and used prices.

Fuel duty, and hence price, is slightly lower than in the UK.

Our system certainly discourages more appealing car ownership.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Insurance is expensive because the industry is badly regulated and managed, and everyone is still paying the cost for a failed insurance company a few years ago. We also seem to be going in the American direction of suing willy-nilly for damages after accidents which adds to premiums.

Road tax isn't too bad providing you have a car registered after 2008 which produces little CO2. It quickly gets very expensive for more polluting cars and for older cars with larger engines. That's why our roads are predominantly populated with boring small diesel s***boxes. The more interesting older cars got exported to the UK when the regime was introduced. Vintage cars over 30 years old pay minimal road tax so if you want a big V8 then it makes sense to have an old one.

New (and imported) cars are subject to VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) on top of VAT. This too depends on CO2 emissions and can be up to 36% of the car's value. This inflates new and used prices.

Fuel duty, and hence price, is slightly lower than in the UK.

Our system certainly discourages more appealing car ownership.

Heard this discussed on the radio a few days ago. It was stated that 80% of injury claims here are for whiplash. In France it is 3%. Apparently in France if you claim you get your medical expenses paid rather than a lump sum in compensation. Might be a more cost effective direction to go in.
I think low insurance premiums don't really suit the insurance industry though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Just insured my GTV 1997, classic insurance with Auto Line UK,NI, 270 euros fully comp 3000 miles limit.:thumbup: Discounted if a member of a car club..

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Just insured my GTV 1997, classic insurance with Auto Line UK,NI, 270 euros fully comp 3000 miles limit. Discounted if a member of a car club..
I pay £180 fully comp 6000 miles for my 97 Twinspark. Is insurance more expensive in Ireland usually?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
So, I don't have an Alfa at the moment, but I thought I'd share anyway. Car is a 2014, Mazda 3 GT, 5Dr, 2.2 Diesel. I have 5 poxy points on my licence.

Dec 2014 - Dec 2015 = €537.04, Fully Comp with 123.ie/RSA.
Dec 2015 - Dec 2016 = €665.90, Fully Comp with NoNonsense/FBD.

But, below are the quotes I got this time around...

1. NoNonsense/FBD = €787.95 Full Comp. Renewal Quote.
  2. 25Plus.ie = €560.66 Full Comp (Not honoured as I forgot about the Penalty Points section because I didn't see it. It only appears if you expand the 'Convictions' section of the webform.)
  3. AXA = €1089.14 Full Comp. Received call back from AXA Rep almost immediately. Willing to reduce to €1,000.00. Cannot* quote below €1000. (*Will not).
  4. Liberty = Refused to quote. "Sorry, we are unable to provide you with a quote. Based on the information you have provided, we cannot provide a quote at this time as it falls outside our acceptance criteria. Factors can include driving history or certain aspects of the vehicle.
  5. Allianz = TPFT = €814.30. Full Comp = €911.07
  6. RSA/123.ie = "123.ie is unable to offer you a Quote on this occasion." Pushed me through to KennCo - who also refused to quote online, but then called me.
  7. KennCo Insurance = €705.00. Exess: €500.00.
  8. Blue Insurance = *Redirects to a fake Error Page* - Company won't quote me.
  9. Post Insurance = Won't quote by deliberate exclusion of any more than 4 Penalty Points on the drop down options list - I have 5.
  10. First Ireland Insurance = Again, can't get a quote from them due to having 5 Penalty Points.
  11. Dempsey's Insurance Broker = €870 Fully Comp or €890 Fully Comp with Stepback Protection.
  12. Coverinaclick .ie: €710.00 Fully Comp, from Allianz. Excess: €250.00. I went with this one and felt very lucky at that!

·
Administrator
86,749 Posts
Considering some of the renewal increases I've heard of your quote with NoNonsense/FBD wasn't so bad I suppose, did you try getting them to price match any of the other quotes ?

41 - 60 of 100 Posts