Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are cars set to go the way of the mobile phone in the near future?

i.e. actually can be utterly rubbish at what it's meant to do but people
judge it on how cool the graphics are and how fast the CPU runs.

Infotainment test: best in-car entertainment systems reviewed | Auto Express

To be fair to AutoExpress, this isn't the 1st article I've seen like this.
And over on EwokMoaners.com the iTunes compatibility and being able
to have your iPhone messages read to you were more or less deal breakers
for some people who were ready to reject their (lease) cars because of it.*

It would be sad if this happens.

*I exaggerate, IIRC the "Reject it!" may have been about rear DRLs not
being on the car unless you paid extra for LED lighting. A scandal seeing-
as-though rear LED DRLs are a much needed safety feature apparently.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Are cars set to go the way of the mobile phone in the near future?

i.e. actually can be utterly rubbish at what it's meant to do but people
judge it on how cool the graphics are and how fast the CPU runs.

Infotainment test: best in-car entertainment systems reviewed | Auto Express

To be fair to AutoExpress, this isn't the 1st article I've seen like this.

It would be sad if this happens.

*I exaggerate, IIRC the "Reject it!" may have been about rear DRLs not
being on the car unless you paid extra for LED lighting. A scandal seeing-
as-though rear LED DRLs are a much needed safety feature apparently.
I really appreciate BT streaming for audio entertainment and most in car sat navs a pretty poor compared to Waze or Google maps. Many don't let you put postcodes in for example and cannot search for nearby items of interest. So I would like to see improvements here.

Also in voice control. Utterly unusable on the Seat with massive latency. The Brera was much better. Work is on going for natural language voice recognition.

I could do without fancy graphics but part of this is not just the software or algorithms but the underlying processor and memory.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original B&M Voice recog was most excellent.
Pityy they never kept that implementation. Uconnect is utter :censored: for that,
but as you say A2DP is a killer app. BBC Radio 4 anywhere in France. :thumbs:

I think HUDs + Voice control make perfect sense in a car.

But touch screens, where you have to take your eyes off the road
to locate the button and jab at it? Madness!!!

·
Registered
33,733 Posts
Lets face it, Siri is only used like a schoolchild looking for rude words in the dictionary!

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
The original B&M Voice recog was most excellent.
Pityy they never kept that implementation. Uconnect is utter :censored: for that,
but as you say A2DP is a killer app. BBC Radio 4 anywhere in France. :thumbs:

I think HUDs + Voice control make perfect sense in a car.

But touch screens, where you have to take your eyes off the road
to locate the button and jab at it? Madness!!!
They failed to realise that less was more. With only a few commands to recognise the response could be quick and reliable.

Touch screens can have their place when parked as it is a more flexible interface than buttons or wheels. But it can be distraction when driving. The Seat version isn't too bad in this regard with large buttons to bring up major functions (radio, nav, media) and steering wheel controls that work reasonably well. A good voice system would have been a benefit.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I like the giulietta radionav as it is. plays my MP3s, can take voice commands if I'm so inclined, got handsfree calling, and the sound is good with the Bose. Navigation works, as does TMC. And I don't have to take my eyes off the road either

I'm happy.

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
I recall when we got Prius pool cars at work. I used to find that touch screen incredibly distracting.

Judging by the positions people put their satnavs in these days, I think looking where you're going is the distraction people no longer need.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I find modern cars terribly distracting. Too many buttons, screens and stuff going on. You need a small set of data when driving, basic instruments and most of your attention looking at the pane of glass ahead of you. For example, heater controls. In the 155 there are three knobs. The one on the right is where you want the air to blow from - never touch that, you always want it blowing on the windscreen. One in the middle - if the car is too cold, turn it to the right, too warm turn it to the left. One on the left - fan speed, stays on "2" in nearly all situations. So if I'm driving along and I feel too cold, I can alter the temperature without taking my eyes off the road. Simples.

Now, the 159. Is it on dual zone or single zone? You can't tell. You fiddle with stupid knobs dialling up precise temperatures in 0.5 degree increments, the fan speed is impossible to work out without looking at it, and the whole lot may be "off" if the off button is illuminated. Then you have to press silly buttons in the rotary dials to direct the air.

So progress is having to take your eyes off the road in order to make the car warmer or colder. I wonder how many of the "deaths caused by driver distraction" are actually caused by poor heater or radio design.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I actually think the 159 controls are pretty straight forward.
Stereo is simple with only a few buttons. Less on the fascia than my GT had. I do think the TA though being in the menus and not a button is a bit of a pain.

Mine is an early 159 and as such has a 'mono' button so I can easily tell which mode. It does have Auto and Full Auto modes which I is a little confusing as auto mode seems to be manual.

I do agree though generally the number of controls and buttons on newer cars is getting silly.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Anything with a touch screen is awesome when parked up but once driving it's almost useless, the Tiguan has this it also has Bluetooth which can read texts! What stupid idea

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the Tiguan has this it also has Bluetooth which can read texts! What stupid idea

Takes all sorts. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts