Alfa Romeo Forum banner

A sporty-ish hatch for my younger brother?

• Brand new Renault Clio Sport 182

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Second Hand Honda Civic type-R (around 20k on clock)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Don't even bother, try convince him to Alfas again!

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • others, please state in thread. (around 12k to spend)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help the poor guy out on the decision to buy one of these cars. most of u will prefer alfas of course but unfortunately he has other ideas. please vote and try not to swear.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Personally I would let him buy what he wants....presumably its his money ;)

Any other choice and if it goes wrong then you are to blame.... All you can really do is suggest what he might look at and then let him go to it!

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Take the money and buy a car for yourself :p :p :p

;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Both the Renault and the Honda have pure racing genes and can produce loads of adrenaline. So it all comes down to personal taste. Unfortunately Alfa does not have a match of those in that kind of price.
I would prefer the Renault for it's style and because I don't like jap cars.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Fraser said:
If he doesn't want an Alfa then go for the Renault. The Honda's a buzz-box.
Yep totally agree, it's not the most comfortable of cars for long runs.

It's also heavily lightend - no aircon or leccy windows and all the action happens in the last 2000RPM when it switches cam.

The clio is a more normal car with plenty of oomph and driving dynamics according to EVO who totally rave about it putting it up against a lot more expensive competition and it scored very well in their car of the year competition.....

ON the other hand of course putting the old man hat on a civic will have done a lot of it's depreciating already - but a nearly new 182 would have my money as the saving will pay for the insurance ;-)

Simon.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys....really appreciate the comments!

its all down to him, he asked me to put this poll up to ask for more decisions and he got it. thanks again!

i told him about getting a 147 2.0 but the little bugger said its too posh so it wont blend in with his mate's cars. :lol: :eek:

to me its always nice to get something different, tend to get more attention that way! hehe

i told him Clio would be my choice too only downside i can think of is the reliability of the car. apparently its as bad as what people say about alfas or even worse. Anyone kindly direct me to the top gear video of the 182?? i remembered jeremy liking the performance part but critised about the build quality very badly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
some more info on your younger brother? Like, his age; his driving 'maturity', etc.

Remember the clio & type r are quick cars that can get him into trouble.....

If your bro is young enough to still hanker after a tinny hothatch, but mature enuff not too lose points & ncb, then i reckon the little Clio is great value (12k new!!!)

just make sure he gets it with the 'cup' suspension package.

·
Registered
312 Posts
tse_adam said:
Anyone kindly direct me to the top gear video of the 182?? i remembered jeremy liking the performance part but critised about the build quality very badly.
Don't need to: think of cheap & nasty & you have the Clio interior. The main bugbear in the upright driving position.

However, I vm doubt he'll get a better driving experience for that money & will not care one jot about the interior quality.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ralf S. said:
He wants one of those Fiat Punto HGT.

Sorted! Ralf S.

:tut: :tut: I hope you are joking!! I had a new Fiat Punto HGT a couple of years ago - Insurance was outrageous, the 1.8 engine had no life at all, when you tried to work it hard it sounded crap! (embarrasing even) :eek: Nasty little motor! :mad: BTW how old is your younger brother? Those hot hatches are all pretty hot as far as insurance ratings go?...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys....

hes 20 at the moment, it will be his second car after his Suzuki Ignis Sport. i guess hes mature enough to take care of himself but like the rest of us. there will be rebellious times to race people at lights etc.

hes aware the insurance will hit him but hes prepared for it so thats up to him.

followed up to the decision, we both made test drives on the two cars. we felt Honda was faster of the two, gearbox and driving position is superior but lack soul somehow.

Clio was fun, above 5k rpm it goes just like the V-tec on the Honda. downside is steering wheel and gear too far to reach. think generally we likes the Clio better!!

HGT fast car as well.......some guy said its faster than clio ( i was like 'its fast but dont go too far mate') :lol:

·
Registered
627 Posts
tse_adam said:
HGT fast car as well.......some guy said its faster than clio ( i was like 'its fast but dont go too far mate') :lol:
:lol: indeed compared to clio and the Honda!
Goodluck on his choice - that's a lot of motor for a twenty year old & a lot of cash (insurance :eek: )

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bomberlow said:
:lol: indeed compared to clio and the Honda!
Goodluck on his choice - that's a lot of motor for a twenty year old & a lot of cash (insurance :eek: )
tell me about it, its a lot of car for myself too and i am only 23. :D
but i got me alfa so i am happy......... :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
bomberlow said:
:tut: :tut: I hope you are joking!! I had a new Fiat Punto HGT a couple of years ago - Insurance was outrageous, the 1.8 engine had no life at all, when you tried to work it hard it sounded crap! (embarrasing even) :eek: Nasty little motor! :mad: BTW how old is your younger brother? Those hot hatches are all pretty hot as far as insurance ratings go?...
I totally second that.The HGT was one of Fiat's greatest mistakes. I used to own a Punto GT with 136 PS and I beat the **** out of a friend's HGT any time. Who thought about taking out the 1,4 lit diamond and implanting a 1,8 lit engine in Punto's class :( .

·
Registered
627 Posts
I know it was ridiculous :rolleyes: Seeing the smiles of the old turboed GT's, knowing they could kick my ass! I only bought it brand new as a family friend could get discounts on Fiat, a year later my sister bought the much cheaper Punto 1.2 16v it was such an easy drive, lively little engine, fantastic gearbox, made the HGT seem even worse (Only good thing was the Sat Nav :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts