Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I recently changed my engine into a 2.0 Twin spark
Was running smoothly until last Friday I lost power and when parked on the side of the road, I floor it and it doesn't rev above 1 RPM

I had to tow it back home and been ubering to work since

Parts of Troubleshooting I disconnected the MAF sensor but that didn't change anything

Any idea what could be wrong or what can I do to fix it even if temporarily to get to the Mechanic

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Did an engine management light come on?
Do you have diagnostic equipment?
You say changed engine "into a 2.0 TS". Was the original engine smaller?

Can you give more details of the failure and what happened exactly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did an engine management light come on?
Do you have diagnostic equipment?
You say changed engine "into a 2.0 TS". Was the original engine smaller?

Can you give more details of the failure and what happened exactly?
Engine Management light is already on due to two lambda sensors not being connected

my previous engine was a 1.6TS

I was driving at 100kph when I completely lost power, I floor the pedal but the engine barely revs beyond 1000 RPM

Let me know if I am not clear enough

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Sounds like the ECM has locked it down tight due to multiple errors and getting sensor data from the 2.0 engine which the 1.6 would simply not be capable of generating.

In saying that, I'm guessing you aren't running a 2.0 map?
A 2.0 engine on a 1.8 map can work but a 1.6 map is a step too far. I think you're going to have to resolve this with map modification.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the ECM has locked it down tight due to multiple errors and getting sensor data from the 2.0 engine which the 1.6 would simply not be capable of generating.

In saying that, I'm guessing you aren't running a 2.0 map?
A 2.0 engine on a 1.8 map can work but a 1.6 map is a step too far. I think you're going to have to resolve this with map modification.
But it was working fine for the last two months

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
With on O2 sensor signals, obviously the engine management lights has been on. The trouble with that is that if another fault occurs, you have no idea what has happened.

It could be many things such as the knock sensor is loose, cam position sensor has broken or even throttle pedal potentiometer, or the throttle position sensor have become faulty.

Until the car is diagnostically tested, you have no idea where the fault is. Did you do the engine change yourself, by the way?

Anyway, either a visit to a garage or perhaps if you have access to one of the cheap EOBD diagnostic code readers would be the best way to go.

As there is a fault which has put the EML on, the engine ECU overfuels the engine (helpful, as you have a larger engine) but it also retards the ignition timing (not helpful, as you have a slightly larger combustion chamber and this reduces performance).

Why are the O2 sensors disconnected, BTW?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts