Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My much beloved 2001 166 TS has broken its big end bearings and the advice is that with the resulting damage, the engine is toast.

My options are: Pay €3,500 all in for a new (Alfa recon) TS engine, and then keep the car for a few years. At least I have a new engine to take care of from the start. The value of a 2001 166 TS here is about €8,500. I have recently fitted Bilstein B6s and four Toyo T1 Rs. Then maybe I can justify some cams and a remap, since the engine will be worth keeping.

Or, forget it and sell the body for salvage, and buy another Alfa, which will be a 166 TS. But because I will be buying it used, with no guarantee as to whether it was ever run low on oil, I could be in the same bind in another few months. So no.

Or, buy a nearly new 159 JTS 2.2. Big money and big depreciation. Again, no.

Or, buy a GTA

I'm very sad :(

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Get it fixed. In the UK a recon/rebuilt-engine would be about £1,500 :)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Well, the £1,500 included VAT and fitting (just bought a new engine for my wifes Landrover).

But you could get the old engine repaired too - although this is likely to cost more or less the same.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the clarification - that was my biggest concern first of all, whether to repair or replace. But now I think of it, even if I could repair for say 60% of the price, I would still only be left with an old suspect engine. With a recon, I get a fresh start, as if new. While in there the mechanic (indep) will change the clutch and everything else that makes sense to do at the same time, the timing belt is due next year anyway, so.....its like getting a new car! Put it that way it doesn't sound too bad.

:) I think ?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Get it fixed! You know the car...........................if the car is RIP.what other car could you get for that price..................not a lot!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Get a 166 V6.. and instead of spending money on big end bearings and oil you can spend it on fuel! ;)
I've heard that the 4-speed auto isn't so great though (http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0774/article.html), and manuals would be hard to find...
Alternatively, consider €3,500 to be the cost of a new 166 not a new engine.. If you like the car it's yours for €3,500 and should last another 6 years. Not bad value!
If a working 2001 166 goes for €8,500, then it currently makes sense to get it fixed even if you want to sell it for another car.

W

·
0 Posts
What exactly is the damage, if it's just the big end bearings and a knackered crank then it's very repairable.

wrinx

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As you say, knackered bearings and crank. The mechanic, whose opinion I would follow, says both he and other alfa mechanics have carried out apparently straightforward repairs to engines with this damage, only for the same thing to happen again the next time you hit 6000 rpm. He says the engines just can't take the abuse of the heavy vibration and banging about once the first failure occurs, and so are never the same. So one repair leads to another... Therefore, better to bite the bullet and at least have a "new" engine for your money. Sure, if a set of autodelta cams and remap cost nearly 2 grand (euros) plus fitting, the 3 1/2 grand for a recon engine seems OK.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I take it you dont know anyone who could help you fit a recon engine yourself?! That way you'd only have to pay for the engine, and you'd save on fitting costs!

Not a difficult job, just a straight swap! If you have the tools. No friends who are mechanic's?!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I don't have an engine lift; and really it would be outside the scope of my experience, so it would just take me too long. I'll let the mechanic do it because he'll do good job for the money.

Do you know, if I was going to buy another Alfa, I'd buy a timing belt write-off and a recon engine from day one. Does that make sense?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts