15,174 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:

:cry: :( :cry:

Oh mate - not a good run in to crimble for you... :(

What happened :confused: Damage :confused:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I know the feeling all too well, having had to have my bella body repaired twice within a week or so too!

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luckily I wasn't in it, although if I had been it might not have happened. It's really odd, I live on a 1 in 3 hill and i;ve not had problems before.

Heard my alarm going off so went outside, looked out to see my car rolling down the hill with a neighbour trying to hold it, I just didn't get their in time and it rolled down the hill bounced off another neighbours car into a dry stone wall to the sound of me going.

"NO NO NO" as if it would make all the difference in the world.

Girl who owned the car has had 3 crashes and 2 cars written off this year and when she saw the damage she went MENTAL big time, got in her car and reversed up the hill at about 30 mph and nearly ran into a car coming down the hill the sped down the hill towards me an her mum and slammed on the brakes just in time.

At this her mum went MENTAL, so... here's me, car smashed into a wall, 2 MENTAL women and a slowly growing crowd of onlookers.

Eventually got the ladies calmed down and everybody back in the respective house sand went to see about my car. Weird.

Handbrake on up to the limit, no slack at all, out of gear not how I leave my car EVER, it's second nature to me leaving it in gear even on the flat.

Started her up and started reversing back up the hill and instantly got the pungent smell of BURNT CLUTCH.

So anybody cae to hazard a guess as tp what happened cos I can;t figure it out.

Pics to come :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And to top it all just gone to ring my girlf to find my Nokia N95 is completely dead.

WTF?

Does someone up there HATE ME? :cry: :cry: :cry:

D

·
0 Posts
Jesus that is some bad luck man, I dunno which is worse the irrate women or the car impaling itself on a wall.

·
Registered
945 Posts
wow, I cannot understand if the car was in gear.... :(

Is it a selespeed?

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Fecking hell Sean, what bad luck :(

They say they come in 3's so be careful matey

V

·
0 Posts
If the car was mainly being held on the gearbox on such a steep hill, could the car have started moving slightly and then popped out of gear, leaving it to fall down the hill? You said the car was in neutral when you climbed in it , yes?
I'm only guessing, but the smelly clutch may just have been a symptom of a (rightly) p*ssed off Alfaowner driving her 'firmly' back up the hill?

Bad luck, feller!

V

·
0 Posts
And rab, even if the car were a Selespeed, the same things apply. It's essentially a standard 5-speed box, if it's left in gear, the clutch is closed, nothing will open it apart from the engine being started, thereby pressurising the Selespeed hydraulics, to allow activation of the clutch.
Most peculiar!

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
sorry to hear this sean, sounds very bizarre. i know the feeling though - i left my handbrake off last year and had to stand helpless and watch my car roll down my drive, across the road and into a neighbour's mondeo. horrible feeling:cry:

V

·
0 Posts
A Mundano? You did him a favour! :lol:

I must confess, exactly the same thing happened to me a few years ago with my 155. Went for a 'spirited drive' in the hot sun, parked up on a 1/10 hill to go to the bike shop, came out 10mins later to a crowd of people standing around my car, which had T-boned an Everest double glazing lorry :rolleyes: :lol: .
The brakes had contracted as they cooled and she had slid down the hill, gathering pace as she went :eek: .
These days, If I park on a hill, I turn the wheel slightly into the kerb, that way if there's any movement, it's nipped in the bud by the tyre digging into the kerb.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
My old bosss left his vectra on his drive which is quite steep. at 2 in the morning the alarms going off. It's rolled down the hill, through his wall and into next doors garden! :eek:

Hope the damage isn't too bad sean. Need to investigate what's going on there?!

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few people have mentioned if it could be something to do with the guy rear ending me but I don't think so. Unfortunately there is no kerb to point the wheel at, just a nice gritty dry stone wall.

I'm just gonna have to ring insurance tomorrow and get it sorted, there goes my 300 bhp rear wheel drive coupe dream for a few years. No claims isn;t protected :cry:

I wasn't ragging it beforehand either, just normal driving. :(

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
My old bosss left his vectra on his drive which is quite steep. at 2 in the morning the alarms going off. It's rolled down the hill, through his wall and into next doors garden! :eek:

Hope the damage isn't too bad sean. Need to investigate what's going on there?!

There's been a problem with vectra's on Watchdog about the same thing happening to other owners, might be a car default, you might want to mention it to him

·
Premium Member
45,112 Posts
Hope the damage isn't too bad mate :(

Must have just forgot to put in in gear this time, happens to the best of us it seems, as other people have done exactly the same thing. You aren't the first and you won't be the last, gutted for you cause your 147 is a beaut.. Has it been fixed from the last crash yet?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts