Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as this is the first time I have bought a new car I could do with some advice please, heres hoping you can give me some pointers.

Just what should I be looking for regarding paperwork and checking the car when I go to collect it?

I don't want to go in there with a micrometer, magnifying glass and be like some freak who wants perfection, I don't want to take the fun away from collecting my new car, but at the same time don't know the procedure so to speak, tips and general information are much appreciated.

If it helps this is a scrappage scheme jobbie, cash purchase...

many thanks,
J.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just check they have sent the v5 and given you the books, radio codes and you have the locking wheel nuts. if it has some miles get the service history

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My advice.

Take all the docs you have been given, including any order forms. That way, if there are any issues, you have your copy to hand. any supplimentary invoices for accessories as well.

Make sure you have arranged insurance for the new car. Get that to the dealership to allow registration and preperation for delivery. It should be Fully Comp.... and double check the reg number and start date/time.

If you are part exchanging a car, take along the V5. That is vital. Also the MOT, service history, reciepts you dont need for your records. Make sure the locking wheel nut is there for the alloys.

Different dealers give a different experience, but make sure you are not running to an appointment or late to pick up the kids. Buying a new car is the 2nd biggest purchase you are likely to make in your personal life.... so don't rush. Don't be embarassed to ask questions. No matter how daft a question you think off, someone else will have asked it before.

We always do a proper handover. By that I mean we will go over the basic controls, light switches, fuel filler, where the jack is etc. I show them the contents of the bookpack, with the service record, warranty etc.

If you have any issues, if an accessory is missing etc, make sure you shout out. Make sre the specification is what you ordered. One friend went to pick up a citroen this week and they ordered a 75bhp model instead of the 98bhp he asked for.
Another ordered a 307 with bluetooth. When she collected the car, no bluetooth. She made a noise and got £500 off the car.

**EDIT** just noticed its a scrappage deal. You will need the insurance doc for your current car too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice Prof Peach, appreciated and I'll take it onboard. Hopefully the pickup will be on Tuesday but it may be next weekend, I find out tomorrow. Quite right second biggest purchase of my life, I'm sure it will go well, the garage has been going for decades and I find them direct and to the point, looking forward to my pickup,

thanks,
J.

·
Registered
309 Posts
thats actually a really good question, coz hopefully if it's true this time I shud be picking up my car 'latest' (they said that....) this weekend. and I've got no past experiences with buying a new car coz this is my new car ^^

so I'd like some advice on what I need to check when I get the car aswell.......... As Prof Peach said, I think I'll be the ones who asks VERY daft questions haha, but I dont mind as long as I understand how my car works :)

Anymore people out there who could help us on how to check a new car??

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
One thing I didn't say was to check the condition of the paintwork before you drive away. You will probably be asked to sign for the car, confirming you are happy with the condition. If you see any marks, scratches or anything else that shouldn't be there, get it noted. Get on to the sales manager and get things done, with compensation for the grief.

Same goes for the interior. Its very easy for the in/outside of the car to get marked as the car is PDI'd (pre delivery inspection) and valeted. Unscrupulous dealers will try to get you out in the car.... then any marks could have been made by you, negating them of any responsibility.

J

·
0 Posts
as someone who has worked in the trade an knows what goes on i would say two things....

As as many questions as YOU want to, YOU have just spent a lot of money and the salesperson is there to help with YOUR queries, dont feel that you are being stupid or silly and certainly don't let them make you feel that you are doing so...

Go over the car with a fine tooth comb if you want to, if there is anything wrong then point it out, if it is not the spec you ordered then use that to your advantage, and if it is massively different then you have a perfect right to reject the car.

Good luck with your new purchases and enjoy

·
Registered
38 Posts
My advice.

Take all the docs you have been given, including any order forms. That way, if there are any issues, you have your copy to hand. any supplimentary invoices for accessories as well.
I am due to pick mine up in less than two weeks, I have no order form, no paperwork, no copy of the finance agreement nothing at all, is this normal??:confused:

I bought the car on a bank holiday so the order went in without me being there, they just wrote down what it was I wanted and I signed some finanace forms and went back in a couple of days later to sign some more that were not available as it was a bank holiday.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So given the tips that are being given I would say the unveiling that we see so many pictures of happens BEFORE you sit down and pay for the car, I'm paying for mine by cash so it is going to be one scary debit card transaction...

Is this the order of things?

many thanks,
J.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I can answer my own question from above here, I should pay for the car first but then after the unveiling I have the chance to check the vehicle over and am required to sign a form that I accept the car, I'm sure that is it...

Anyway I don't want to worry too much about this, I just don't want to take the fun out of my collection :)

thanks,
J.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
I'd accept the car first and then pay for it, frankly. The "transaction" isn't due to be completed until you have accepted the car.

If you were a business, they would offer you the goods and then once you had accepted them, invoice you for them.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Different dealers will do things differently. Heres how WE do it.

You decide on the car, colour, accessories and options etc.
We fill in an order form with a full breakdown of goods purchesed, part exchenge vehicle and the new owners details. You sign 2 copies and keep one for your records.

At that point you leave a deposit (variable amount depending on payment method).

If you are paying by finance, we process your finance application, get acceptance and generate 2 sets of finance documents. You sign them both and again keep one for your records. You will need to show a couple of proofs of ID, Drivers licence, passport, recent utility bill etc. Ask your dealer what proofs they need. (Without the required proofs, the finance company won't release the funds to the dealer and you won't get your car.)

At that point, we either order your car, or prep one from stock if its available.

Once the cars ready, the handover date is arranged.

On handover day..... you may or may not have paid in full.
You can settle the balance by cash, debit card, credit card (but be prepared to fork out up to 3% for the privilege) chaps or bacs. Not many take cheques nowadays.

Then we get you to sign and keep a copy of the Invoice. We get you to sign the AFRL form, which confirms the details to go on the reg docs (V5).

With the balance paid and all the legal docs signed, the car is yours. At that point, we generally do a full handover. We go over all aspects of the car, inside and out, as well as the service intervals and warranty. Not many dealers do this, but I would insist.

I always offer to let the customer see the car before I do all the paperwork, but we dont "unviel" the car like Alfa do.

If we did, I would keep the best till last.

*** This is very simplified, and misses out FSA forms. Not every dealer subscribes to FSA guidelines so these will vary a lot.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
**EDIT** just noticed its a scrappage deal. You will need the insurance doc for your current car too.
Sorry to hijack, why do you need the insurance for the current car?

Thanks Prof Peach, picking her up today at 5ish :)

take care,
J.
Good luck! ENjoy those first miles!!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts