Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Im after some recommendations really, im sure there are many people on here more knowledgeable than me!

Ive seen many threads on here that talk about connecting iPhone's/iPod's to Blue & Me enabled cars. My 147 does not have B&M so im limited to an FM transmitter or a head unit with a USB connection.

Although FM transmitters will be cheaper, ive read many reviews that they can start picking up local radio in towns/cities. So im tempted to go for a new head unit thingy. So this is where I hope you guys can help me! Im after a head unit that will slot nicely into the gap where the existing head unit is on a 147 plus:

1) A USB port that I can connect my iPhone to.
2) One that will display the Artist/Title/Song that is being played.
3) Probably looking to spend no more than 200 quid.

Speaking to Mr Bear he has recommended getting a Blaupunkt as that would match the manufacturers set up.

So what would you guys recommend?
Am I being silly and dismissing an FM transmitter, or would getting an USB compatible head unit be worth the extra money?

N

·
0 Posts
Kenwood KOS-A200.

There's one in my lock up as I type this....

I'd just get a new headunit TBH.

There are some cracking ones available with all sorts of functionality.
including Bluetooth A2DP streaming direct from your phone. Well, unless
you have an older iPhone in which case it doesn't do A2DP. :rolleyes: :lol:

Have a poke on Amazon. I fixed up a couple of people with Sony ones
but the built-in handsfree mic is a bit pants in one car. So get one that has
the facilty to have an external microphone.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kenwood KOS-A200.

There's one in my lock up as I type this....
So how would you go about setting that up in the car?

I'd just get a new headunit TBH.

There are some cracking ones available with all sorts of functionality.
including Bluetooth A2DP streaming direct from your phone. Well, unless
you have an older iPhone in which case it doesn't do A2DP. :rolleyes: :lol:
My iPhone is a 3G sol im pretty sure it has bluetooth!

Have a poke on Amazon. I fixed up a couple of people with Sony ones
but the built-in handsfree mic is a bit pants in one car. So get one that has
the facilty to have an external microphone.
The external microphone, is that to do with increasing the volume based on the level of sound in the car? I.e. louder as you go faster?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
1) A USB port that I can connect my iPhone to.
2) One that will display the Artist/Title/Song that is being played.
3) Probably looking to spend no more than 200 quid.
sound quality is definitely better via a hardwired connection, and not FM transmission. plus you can control the music playback via the headunits controls (track search, track up/down, etc).

having all of the above for GBP$200 could be a big ask. you may have to either pay more, or accept less features; some models might display either the artist or the album title or the song title, but not all at once.

some may have inbuilt BT, but lack something else. or just pay what it costs, and pay more than $200.

examples from Alpine:
*CDE-113BTi : black, but can select red backlighting; inbuilt BT, iPhone connection and USB; limited display
Alpine-Headunits-CDE-113BT
*CDE-114BTi : silver, but blue backlighting; inbuilt BT, iPhone connection and USB; limited display
Alpine-Headunits-CDE-114BTi
*iDA-X305 : black, full display colour LCD, selectable red illumination; no inbuilt BT; has iPhone connection/USB; no CD player; inbuilt programmable steering wheel control interface
Alpine-Digital Media Receiver-iDA-X305

for your costs, also factor in:
*installation by pro (if required)
*dash kit fascia
*steering wheel control interface (firstly, ensure headunit has an input socket for an interface; the interface is sold separately; some select Alpine headunits like the X305 have an inbuilt interface that you can programme)

if you're willing to spend the money, you'll have most of the features you want. if you stick with a tighter budget, i suspect you'll need to compromise somewhat.

:)

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shiny ill go away and have a look at those! :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right so have found a website that has an iPod/iPhone connector for about GBP50:

Connects 2 Alfa Romeo 147 / 156 iPod adapter - CTAARIPOD001 from

Has anyone used this company before?
Im a little wary using a website ive never heard of, and would be much more willing to get a connector via a dealer. However as far as I can find, dealers are selling these things for twice the price!

Though I could just splash out all my money on one of these:

Alpine-Digital Media Receiver-iDA-X305

As recommended by Shiny_Car

·
7,713 Posts
Connects2 products are good, from what i've read (never used them though). They seem to put in the required R&D for their products. Except their 'technical service' apparently sux; in that it's difficult to get hold of them in a hurry.

A cable like that is good IF you want to retain the factory headunit. It will not provide data transfer for the ability to display the Artist/Title/Song that is being played. On your MultiFunctionDisplay in the dash, it will merely refer to 'track number' and 'folder' AFAIK. 'Searching' is also going to be a little clunky compared with an aftermarket headunit tailored for iPods.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very good points, I do like the look of that head unit you linked too, but not sure I want to spend £250 when I can get a cable for £50!!

Are there any other good head units that you can buy?
Or would you stick with an Alpine?

·
7,713 Posts
For iPods/iPhones, I'd personally stick with Alpine. They seem to have the interface as good as you can get.

They have 3 models in their range, so you could go with a cheaper, simpler (less fancy) one.
Alpine-Digital Media Receiver

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts