Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car starts and pulls away fine, problem begins when reaching around 2,500 rpms, when it begins to stutter as if trying to stall, regardless of gear - lowering revs allows me to pick up speed again steadily. anyone have any ideas??????? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
When attempting to clean the throttle bodies, be careful when you open them. I was told by an Alfa mechanic to use the cable lever underneath and use brake and clutch cleaner spray NOT fluid which works really well and a tooth brush. While your heads under the bonnet and your hands dirty, unclip (using a small flat screwdriver) your Maf sensor located between the airbox and the throttle body and spray the diode inside it form both sides using the above spray. The diodes get dust particles on it and so send the wrong data to the ecu causing mixtures to be weak or lean, resulting in uneven tickover and excess fuel use. i do mine and friends cars every month or so and we get good mpg. Allow to dry naturally and reassemble, i use large opening slide plier grips to clip the dupilee clips back together. On starting engine, its appears uneven at first but within minutes returns to natural tickover. Hope this helps, good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After posting this thread, went out for a quick drive and appears that as long as I feather the accelerator, I can get it past 2500 and up to speed smoothly and without any problems. As soon as I put any amount of weight on the accelerator, the GTV starts to splutter, regardless of gear selection or revs . Could this still be throttle body or MAF? Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could well be either or even the throttle body sensor, unfortunately without taking it to a garage its a case of elimination. Try cleaning the throttle body and MAF first, then start looking at the throttle body sensor and air leaks/splits in the air intake hose. To be honest if you know a good mechanic it'll be worth getting it hooked up to diagnose the problem if this doesn't sort things, it will save you time and money in the long term. It could be a number of things, a friend of mine had the same problem and it turned out be the water temp sensor switch (mad I know) the tell tale sign was the temp gauge inside wasn't getting hot even though the rad pipes were. Disconnected it and it cured the problem, so I replaced it and hey presto all good and a happy mate. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks my temp gauge is not showing a reading at all will try all of the above thanks again :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts