1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You beat me by a minute...let me see if I can close my post :D

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
"an insider told CAR. ‘But it is impossible to challenge Audi, BMW and Mercedes if you cannot match the Germans in terms of vehicle dynamics and driving pleasure.’ "

Where can I buy a road-going rear-wheel-drive Audi? :rolleyes:

"It's a radical u-turn from Fiat-Chrysler boss Sergio Marchionne,"

He's slowing down - this must be his first U-turn for over three months!

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Giulia is put back yet another year. I won't be waiting til 2015 if it is true. My 159 will be 7 by then. .....at which point they'll probably announce it has been put back to autumn 2016!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Could possibly be a garbled re-telling of the American launch plans? Giulietta has been a successful model for Alfa, and this size of vehicle is the core of the European car market. It wouldn't make sense to kill it.

Giulia has been rumoured to be RWD since they stopped making 159, but the lack of a RWD platform always cast doubt on this. Marchionne did say that they'd use rear drive on everything bigger than Giulietta, but that it doesn't make sense to adopt it for hatchbacks -- BMW would seem to agree, as the next 1-Series will be FWD. I just wonder what they're going to build it on...

G

·
0 Posts
I maybe being a tad sceptical but reading through these reports does this mean that Alfa are basically becoming a body designer more than an out and out car builder?
:confused:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could possibly be a garbled re-telling of the American launch plans? Giulietta has been a successful model for Alfa, and this size of vehicle is the core of the European car market. It wouldn't make sense to kill it.
That'd make sense. It seems like an amalgamation of old news, but if you present it as US-centric, it seems a bit closer to what we know.
Are Mito and Giulietta profitable?
I dunno, but since you can add the Dodge Dart to that mix, probably.
I maybe being a tad sceptical but reading through these reports does this mean that Alfa are basically becoming a body designer more than an out and out car builder?
:confused:
They are already, aren't they? In the sense that they give and take significant technologies like engines probably just as much as any group brand.

·
Registered
33,103 Posts
Marchionne is very well known for using a bit of pressure .Remember the way that prior to this weeks announcement on funds to the Sevel joint van-building venture with PSA they had apparently pulled out completely , leaving the French on their own. Fiat dare not tie up funds on the Giulia which they need simply to remain liquid. If they do , they must be spent very carefully and this time he is threatening Italy that they could lose the job. He did this in Turin versus Serbian and Polish workers. The truth from a Fiat supplier I've spoken to in Turin is that the build quality is as good on a Panda as a 500, but its not in their interest to say it too often. Marchionne coincidentally visited the Panda plant this week . The feeling I get is that he doesn't have the money to spare for the Giulia , for the moment. It may be that he sees the potential to base the car on a Chrysler as irresistible .

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
EXOR sold their stake in SGS (the Swiss testing company) last month for £2bn, rumoured for the Chrysler takeover. There is a judge in the US dragging his heels on the price. I wish he would hurry up!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The truth from a Fiat supplier I've spoken to in Turin is that the build quality is as good on a Panda as a 500, but its not in their interest to say it too often. Marchionne coincidentally visited the Panda plant this week . The feeling I get is that he doesn't have the money to spare for the Giulia , for the moment. It may be that he sees the potential to base the car on a Chrysler as irresistible .
Panda's as good as it gets - WCM at Pomigliano. Auto Edizione article

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about capital required, and certainly not the Giulia, until our judge makes a call on how much is required.

PR, me too - there's money in it!

G

·
0 Posts
Well, if they do make a RWD saloon 3 series rival that owes more to Maserati than Fiat I could well be interested. I do like a lot about the Ghibli, something similar but Alfa-ized would certainly be something I would consider. I hope they do a performance version like the GTA though.

The M and the G are the wrong cars for a US relaunch and the European market is dead anyway. But I'll believe it when I see it, Alfa's strategy changes every 10 minuites.....

·
Registered
33,103 Posts
They must be as they are made cheaply and sold as a premium product...

Look nice but last five minutes, I'm sure my Giulietta and Mito were made in china not Italy.
If it was made in china the savings on labour could be spent on "premium" stuff. Recently ,I was talking to one of the Alessi family about keeping their products Italian and he told me they will accept a thirty percent higher cost until they have to consider producing elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts