Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the car and classic auctions? I have a serious mental block when it comes to selling my 156 GTA and I am considering putting it on this auction. Please be nice as I am perfectly capable of many other things but it just seems I am a total cretin when it comes to selling my car!

Or if anyone wants to make me an offer of £10,000. or over, I'm all ears.

Details.

156 GTA selespeed. 42,000miles. Red. Black leather. Xenons. Q2. Eibach anti roll bar. Harvey Bailey custom shocks. 330 brakes. Alfaholics ss exhaust.

I am the second owner, I bought her in 2010 with 20,000miles on the clock.
Cam belt and water pump service in 20011 and cam belt replaced again in 2017.
ECU repaired in Germany.
Other limited and minor works due to the minimal mileage.
The wheels are not immaculate but she was bought this way.
There are a couple of small patches of paint peel on the plastic bumpers.
Overall in fantastic condition and is an exceptional drive. Always been garaged.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Is it a UK original car from new? Just that so few selespeed were ever sold in the UK and that might make it more desirable ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi 156GTASW. The car was manufactured in 2005. It's first registration in any country was in the U.K. in 2008. Technically this is not an imported GTA as its first ( and only ) country of registration is the U.K. What makes this car desirable is driving it. I am also aware that people are sceptical about selespeeds. My partner has been driving Alfa's all his life and raced in the Alfa Romeo championship in the '80s. He was sceptical about buying this car because it was a selespeed, but having driven it would never go back to manual GTA. The idea that this car is in some way an inferior driving experience is utter nonsense. This is a wonderful car to drive and someone is going to get a fantastic car. Best regards, Lucy.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Looks lovely good luck with the sale why not try autotrader or carandclassic.com websites,

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Anyone who wants a GTA selespeed will know the difference between a normal 156 selespeed and that used in the GTA - very different and been written about many times over on this forum. If my memory is correct I think the original importer back in 2008 who had these GTA selespeeds was Park Lane.

I'm sure that it will get the right attention on Pistonheads as well as the ones mentioned above.... maybe given that you have all the history of what will be regarded as an import but from new in the UK will make it more desirable than the Jap imports finding their way here - hence I think £10k is too low....certainly £12k if not more...?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Car auctions and the like are good ways to sell a car if you do not want to deal with the hassle of selling a car. Of course it comes at a small price. Some cars attract more tyre kickers than other cars and dealing with people with no intention of buying is a pain. Especially when they start to point out things that may be wrong with the car.

Might be lucky on these forums selling it too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There was a 2002 silver 156 GTA sell for just under £10,000 at auction a few weeks back. It had nearly 70,000 miles and was in nice condition. I think you’re pitching too low. Set your price and keep it on the usual sites. If you sustain your advertising you will find a buyer at the price you want. It just takes time and patience. You don’t seem to be in a hurry to sell, which is always a bonus. But you do need to keep the adverts running on the relevant sites and someone will come along. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated. I have decided on an auction using collectingcars.com. The simplicity of an auction appeals to me. And if properly advertised/marketed there is (hopefully) no reason why it won't reach a good value. Here's hoping anyway. I will post a link when it is on the site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts