Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I was on the home straight with my rear calliper refurb. They've been blasted and I'm doing the final clean-up before painting them, except the bloody pistons won't wind out! I have the correct tool which I have used in the past to wind them in and out before, but they're pretty much fully wound-in and I'm trying to remove them, but they won't wind anti-clockwise.

I can wind the tool about 1/4 turn clockwise, but not anti-clockwise at all. Any idea what I'm doing wrong :confused:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
So I thought I was on the home straight with my rear calliper refurb. They've been blasted and I'm doing the final clean-up before painting them, except the bloody pistons won't wind out! I have the correct tool which I have used in the past to wind them in and out before, but they're pretty much fully wound-in and I'm trying to remove them, but they won't wind anti-clockwise.

I can wind the tool about 1/4 turn clockwise, but not anti-clockwise at all. Any idea what I'm doing wrong :confused:
You need to pump them out, either connect to the hydraulic system or apply air pressure, the latter being potentially dangerous so take them to a garage to be done.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm not sure about this totally but if you fit the handbrake lever back onto the caliper and move it as if the handbrake were being applied, won't it push the piston out on the auto-adjust mechanism????

Sorry if I'm wrong and totally mislead you - just a thought!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
JAO you beauty! I want to kiss you. I want to have your babies
steady on chaps, don't forget that you're british :lol:

Great bit of advice though. Something I'll be doing soon hopefully.

I will also kiss you, but please don't be offended if I don't want your children:)

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm not sure about this totally but if you fit the handbrake lever back onto the caliper and move it as if the handbrake were being applied, won't it push the piston out on the auto-adjust mechanism????
That's absolutely spot on :)

The paint on the piston has probably glued it to the caliper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
lol JAO is spot on, I was going to point out that if you had left bolts in the caliper pipe and bleed threads you would need to remove them first as it would create a vacum inside the caliper chamber.

Mine just popped out with a pair of swan necks.

Good luck with the painting, remeber to give them a lots of coats.

Chris :thumbs:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers folks! I have a friendly garage a couple of doors down from me and in my haste I tried msgtv's advice first only to be told by the old boy there that there weren't any user-servicable parts inside the calliper and that I was wasting my time and that he'd taken some off in the past but never got them back on and that if I really wanted to do it they needed to be put back on the car and the pedal given a boot, then it's "pop" off they come with a splash of brake fluid everywhere, rather me than him, even though he used to restore classic cars but doesn't have the time any more, literally a barn full of them, bought a Singer once but sold it to someone else to finish off after two years as he'd done nothing to it, time's too short with working all day, he gets home and is knackered etc.

So JAO: thanks, but a bit quicker with your answer next time to save me some other mechanic's life story ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Cheers folks! I have a friendly garage a couple of doors down from me and in my haste I tried msgtv's advice first only to be told by the old boy there that there weren't any user-servicable parts inside the calliper and that I was wasting my time and that he'd taken some off in the past but never got them back on and that if I really wanted to do it they needed to be put back on the car and the pedal given a boot, then it's "pop" off they come with a splash of brake fluid everywhere, rather me than him, even though he used to restore classic cars but doesn't have the time any more, literally a barn full of them, bought a Singer once but sold it to someone else to finish off after two years as he'd done nothing to it, time's too short with working all day, he gets home and is knackered etc.

So JAO: thanks, but a bit quicker with your answer next time to save me some other mechanic's life story ;)
No problem - I'll try a bit quicker next time!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts