Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i have just been told by dutton forshaw that you are not supposed to use the lighter socket to plug your sat nav in!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have been using my sat nav (unsuccessfully according to some..i blame bradders) in my pug for a year and now in my babe, went to use it yesterday as i was going to a gig in Oxford and it wouldnt work, but worked fine in my daughters pug...

phoned DF this morning and was told that the fuse has probably blown, when i asked how long it will take to fix i was told "could be a while as we dont know what number the fuse is and will have to go through them all"....ffs how hard is it to put a fuse in if you are trained to work on alfa's...

anyone know what number the fuse is and has anyone else been told they shouldny use the socket for sat navs....will the sat nav industry come to a halt now because of this statement??

what a load of tosh...im sooo angry, another wasted morning coming up at the dealership:mad:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,308 Posts
Tess, Just to check that the socket on your car is faulty plug in the cig lighter bit itself and see if that works, or not. Sometimes the plug on SatNavs and other accessories aren't very good and they need a quick mod with a soldering iron and a pair of pliers.

I think a half trained monkey could check every fuse in about five minutes. I would think that the fuse numbers will even be in the Drivers Handbook.

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appaerntly the fuse numbers are on top of the fuses so i think he's talking crap.....we shall see:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
that rubbish, why would sat navs be supplied with cigarette lighter plugs when your not supposed to use them in the socket?

i use mine in my lighter socket, irc the fuses are in the glove compartment.

try plugging it into the one in the boot and see if it works there.

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never thought of that will do it now....good thinkinhugz

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guess what it works in the boot.....:mad:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:lol: Can't drive it if your in the boot !

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Do you know if they are fused separately or not?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought that my sat nav wasn't working when plugged into the socket of my 159, it had always worked in my other cars. Then I put the keyblock in and the socket sparked up:confused: First car I've ever had that needed "the key" in to make the socket live.

·
Super Moderator
44,732 Posts
Yep, someones talking out their bumhole.
Likely it's just failing because it's not a good fit.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My sat nav works perfectly plugged into my mito's cig lighter socket.

Smells like a strong wiff of male domesticated cattle excrement

GK

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
if the socket was meant simply as a ciggy lighter it would:

a) be supplied as standard with a coil heater thingy
b) it would not have Power outlet 100w on it!

Numpty garage, I would not bother going to the stealership a simple look at the fuse should spot some kinda of ID ... I will be having a look at mine in the daylight .......grrrr they make me mad pity the fools I say pitty the fools!!! (best be careful or my post will have to move to the rant room...oh hold on we are there already :lol: )

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That's hilarious. They are lucky they aren't dealing with me as they would have recieved a large dose of sarcasm. If they can't check and change a fuse in under 5 mins they should go and find a new job.

However, it's worth pointing out that the cigar lighter socket wasn't originally intended for use with anything other than a cigar lighter! In fact when they invented the cigar lighter socket, there weren't any of these amazing electronic gadgets such as sat navs on the market. Unfortunately, when sat navs and the like started to appear, the only 12V outlet on the dashboard that everybody had was a cigar lighter socket. The socket is actually not very suitable for use with delicate electronic gear as it is generally grubby and doesn't provide a solid, reliable connection. But since its all most cars have, we are stuck with it for the time being.

But that is no excuse for dealer incompetence. My guess is they will try and charge you for changing the fuse. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
(unsuccessfully according to some..i blame bradders)
Thanks Tess :D

now quit ya moaning and go down to the dealers and whack 'em :lol:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
If you still think it's the fuse look in your owners handbook, the fuse tables shoud be in there.

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
handbook??? whats that:cheese:

gonna see if my lovely godson can do it today and im gonna cancel duttons as there is no way im gonna pay them cos it looks like they will hang it out a while so i have to pay the full hour....barstewards:mad:

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think your getting the 'its a woman, she knows nothing' runaround, :)
i think they should know me better by now wayne....i have to be honest they are crap....i dont know why i bother with them....:lol:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I never use main dealers for anything, except occasionally to buy a car from. Daz is always getting cars straight from main dealer services for MOT's at his place and they often fail. Then the owner says but that's just been serviced or inspected at so and so.

As a female it annoys me when I take cars to garage and they think they can scam me. Fuse is easy enough to change though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts