Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to go out this evening, and neither of my two keys will unlock the car or do anything at all. I know the batteries in the keys are fine. I get no response from the car at all (no hazard lights or alarm blip). Could this be a flat battery in the car? The red dashboard LED is happily flashing away as usual - would this be possible with a flat battery, or is the electrical draw so low it doesn't matter? I haven't tried unlocking the car manually for fear of setting the alarm off as it is getting late now. I just wondered if anybody had experienced this before? The car is 53 plate with an alfa battery (not sure if original) and the car has been parked a couple of days, though it seemed fine before.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I get this every now & again, what I do is open the door with the key go to get in, alarm goes off so I retry the fob and it always (famous last words) stops the alarm and it should work fine 'til the next time. Think it must reset itself. Hope this works for you but I'd wait for a more reasonable time of day to set off the alarm.:)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I get this every now & again, what I do is open the door with the key go to get in, alarm goes off so I retry the fob and it always (famous last words) stops the alarm and it should work fine 'til the next time. Think it must reset itself. Hope this works for you but I'd wait for a more reasonable time of day to set off the alarm.:)
Same for me with my old GTV (2000). That used to throw a tantrum every few months and not let me in.
When it was really cold it used to unlock and lock before you had chance to get in. :lol: Now thats character. :rolleyes:

As jd ollie said, use the key to get in, press and hold the alarm button and pray it resets. It always worked for me. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the battery for a while. It resets the system and often cures problems like this.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unlocked the car manually, alarm went off, and fortunately when i turned the key to MAR, it stopped. Pressed the key and it now works. :). It did go a bit funny afterwards and had to do it again, but hopefully sorted now. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I'm getting this problem quite frequently now, where the keys wont unlock the car. What are the likely causes? I never had the problem until a couple of weeks ago. I've read something about the antenna on the steering column. Could this be a possible cause? I need to get it sorted ASAP as setting the alarm off to open the car at 7.00am isn't exactly ideal:rolleyes:
Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to mention that about 4 months ago I got a new key from alfa and had the car re-coded to both keys. Not sure if this has anything to do with it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same thing on Sunday and thought it was the key fob battery which I have now replaced. No unlocking of the doors when pressing the key fob, and when access was gained using the key, yes the alarm goes off but pressing the key fob stopped it too. Tried to start the car but nothing, not even a click.
Its a flat battery I'm hoping, but having had the battery on charge for 5 hours last night, the car just coughed once and that was it. Thing is the air con comes on so surely it can't be a fault with a flat battery or the AC wouldn't work, would it? I'm going to try to put the battery on charge again tonight so we'll see.
The only thing different that I did on Sunday was spend 2 hours cleaning the car with the CD on but surely that wouldn't have flattened the battery?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same thing on Sunday and thought it was the key fob battery which I have now replaced. No unlocking of the doors when pressing the key fob, and when access was gained using the key, yes the alarm goes off but pressing the key fob stopped it too. Tried to start the car but nothing, not even a click.
Its a flat battery I'm hoping, but having had the battery on charge for 5 hours last night, the car just coughed once and that was it. Thing is the air con comes on so surely it can't be a fault with a flat battery or the AC wouldn't work, would it? I'm going to try to put the battery on charge again tonight so we'll see.
The only thing different that I did on Sunday was spend 2 hours cleaning the car with the CD on but surely that wouldn't have flattened the battery?
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I'm having this problem. Is this a symptom of a flat battery?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
years ago I had a car battery where a cell or 2 had failed (or somthing like that) so that the radio worked and so did the lights (kinda) but there wasnt enuff amps to start the car! and it would just go click.......

put the lights on full beam and see if they are nice and bright... if they are dim or dont last long then the battery is naff

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Sometimes my remote doesn't seem to work also. Boot or Unlock. Have to press many times. The car and key batteries are at optimal voltage.

I'm jealous that you guys have an actual alarm siren. My 156 does not have any siren. I tried FiatECUScan to see if I could activate it but there is no "Parameters" menu visible.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
147's are know to get very tempremental when the battery gets dodgy - best to get it checked or replaced

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Often an intermittent remote means you have a circuit fault in the fob which needs repairing. Obviously not if it's the same with both keys though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts