Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've been cruising around in my new 156 for a while now and it's an absolute pleasure to drive. It's got no squeaking or knocking from the front of the car like my old one did, but as expected there is one minor issue.

When I drive up a ramp or elevated surface like a drive-way, especially on an angle, a creak emerges from under the car. I am assuming it is suspension related, but it only happens after I go over a very uneven surface while turning. It's worse when I complete the turn slowly. This creaking continues when I am cornering or going over more speed bumps or ramps, and in severe cases can be heard when pushing down the clutch. The creak disappears however, after the car has been left standing for an hour or so...

It has lead me to believe it is related to the position of the wheels on uneven surfaces. LCAS have been replaced less than 2 months ago for the roadworthy.

My only guess would be maybe the sway bar or bushes? Could it be upper control arms? Would it be worth replacing bushes with Poweflex or something similar?

I have had a look through the forums and have not seen anyone experiencing a similar issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cal.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Upper wishbones squeak and groan like mad when they are worn, my 156 is squeaking at the back at the moment. Argh. I've had ARB bushes wear on a 147 but these tend to knock rather than squeak, especially when combined with worn droplinks. Rear suspension is made up of four unequal length radius arms and two trailing arms so it's fairly complex. Rock the car back and forth when stationary and see if you can replicate the noise. With what you've described I'd start with the upper wishbones because these are known to produce that sort of sound. Might be worth just sticking it up on a ramp and check the suspension for play. Always start cheap.

:thumbs:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts