Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I've tried searching the forums and the web for this but:

I am currently looking to replace the bog stardard air filter in my Alfa 147 JTD 16v 03, I've seen cylindrical filters in exactly that sort of shape (or a cone shape) and thought they were something else, but on looking on ebay etc, they sound like air filters too, I have also seen K&N air filters? for like £30-40 too which look no different to the standard air filter that is inside it now, what are these conical/cylindrical filters? do they go in place of my normal air filter or are they just something else completely?

And are there any benefits spending three times as much for one of these K&N panel filters? or for these coned ones if they are indeed filters?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, that's cheaper than the one I saw, lol, thanks!

So I need to make a decision now of whether I will have my car for 3 years or not to get my moneys worth on getting the K&N panel right? as opposed to sticking to £10 for the bog standard one?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
a mate of mine had a jtd stilo, and had the K&N replacement filter, and the turbo woosh was noiser, sounded quite nice:D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know what's strange, I had a mk5 golf gti, i could hear that turbo make these whooshing noises when I revved it lots, whereas on this turbo on the 147, I don't hear anything, lol, the engine itself is very quite and I just thought maybe as its diesel, that it doesn't make these turbo whooshing noises?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
You know what's strange, I had a mk5 golf gti, i could hear that turbo make these whooshing noises when I revved it lots, whereas on this turbo on the 147, I don't hear anything, lol, the engine itself is very quite and I just thought maybe as its diesel, that it doesn't make these turbo whooshing noises?
oh they do, beleive me:D ok its a punto, but bassically the same engine:thumbs: panel filter is quite as loud as this but close:thumbs:

YouTube - fiat punto jtd rolling road session

oh my mates jtd stilo too

Abz Jtd with GSR induction after Re-Map video by redstilo - Photobucket

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh they do, beleive me:D ok its a punto, but bassically the same engine:thumbs: panel filter is quite as loud as this but close:thumbs:

YouTube - fiat punto jtd rolling road session

oh my mates jtd stilo too

Abz Jtd with GSR induction after Re-Map video by redstilo - Photobucket
i don't know what i'm looking for when i watch them lol, am not too geared up in like, the noises they make (A)

i always thought the sound was down to the exhaust? or somethign like that, but i've decided i'll go for a k&n filter anyway when i get my wishbone changed

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i don't know what i'm looking for when i watch them lol, am not too geared up in like, the noises they make (A)

i always thought the sound was down to the exhaust? or somethign like that, but i've decided i'll go for a k&n filter anyway when i get my wishbone changed
just listen to the whistles and hisses:D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just hear a racket! haha, can you really hear that though with the bonnet down and street noise etc

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
yeah, not so much with the panel filters, but its there;)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts