Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very occasional (like every six months) fault on our 2.0 16V.

It was impossible to engage any gear, although the clutch pedal felt quite normal under foot. On one occasion the car was sat on the drive, on another the was some 3 miles up the road before the problem occurred.

Eventually you can 'ram' it into gear with a thump, and the problem eases with gear changes becoming smoother with every change until the car returns to normal again.

The car has done 115k miles and is used regularly.

Any ideas?, I would have put money on the clutch slave cylinder, but the clutch pedal feels fine, and why does the problem fix itself for months?

Cheers

Mike

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mike,

I'd also consider the slave cylinder as the culprit but another possibility is air leaking into the system which sometimes works its way out. Try checking that all unions are tight and then bleed the system and see if that improves it - a complete fluid change would be advisable at your mileage anyway.

Ian

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it's the clutch? I had a similar problem which turned out to be gear linkage cables, which I had replaced along with a new clutch.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibly the gear selector or rods (cables on the V6.....or is it the other way around?!?!) that are missing ocassionally.

wrinx

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have rods in my V6 so I guess that means that twinny's have cables?

Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts