Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2.0 147 51 plate. 2 days ago while driving I felt the clutch pedal slip a little,only a little but enough for me to get the "oh no" feeling, like something giving way. The car was stuck in gear. I could still drive in that gear with high revs etc to take off and I could pull it out of gear but I could not engage any other gear. When the engine is off i can select any gear and still drive depressing the clutch when stationary then releasing again to move (can go to tesco in 2nd gear for example) and the clutch feels like it did before this occurred. Basically, when the engine is running I can't select a new gear, but can when engine off. There appears to be no leakage around the pedal area in the footwell and the fluid level is as it was. Any ideas please. Thanks

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
How many miles has the car done and has the clutch been getting heavier?

It sounds to me like the clutch itself has failed.

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
It could either be the slave, the release bearing or the fingers on the cover plate worn through.

Either way it will need a new clutch as the gearbox needs to be removed to fix any of them.

111,000 is a good mileage to get out of a clutch

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I agree, its most lightly thrust bearing or pressure plate. Either way, it's time for a new clutch. the thing is that once you've paid for the box to come off or gone though the effort yourself then it's worth doing a new kit anyway. I once had an Astra or Vetra as it’s badged in the UK. It had a cable and no hydraulic clutch components. The weirdest feeling when the arm that the cable pulls on bent. It's one of the oddest sensations I've very felt.

Edit: Oh, It's also worth the money to by a good quality one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts