Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another problem, another thread :) ...
i'm having hard time figuring out why can't I connect to my car. Car si Alfa Romeo 1,9 JTD 8v Sportwagon (year 2005).

Using KKL or ELM327 or even CANtieCAR interface, I can connect everywhere else, but Engine (Multiecuscan). I've read somewhere that pin number 7 in OBD connector could be responsible for that.
Could that be the case?

Anyone else had similar problems and found a solution? I tried to check connection with pin 7 and ECU, but... where is engine ECU? It's not next to engine where i think it should be.. What else can I check?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You don't physically connect the cable to each ECU, the connection is to the OBD port, you then tell the software which ECU you want to connect to.

I assume you have a LHD car, remove the panel under the steering wheel, the OBD port is in among the fuses by your left knee.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I get that, ofcourse.
I was wondering if it is possible that link between OBD connector and ECU is somewhere broken, so I would like to find ECU and check that connection with multimeter. I checked the connector and all pins look securly placed in it, but I can not check connections with ECU if I can't find it :)

On some topics they say it could be located in passanger's footwell? Where exactly is that, behind glove box, or somewhere else? On the car's floor I found just airbag computer.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yes, I get that, ofcourse.
I was wondering if it is possible that link between OBD connector and ECU is somewhere broken, so I would like to find ECU and check that connection with multimeter. I checked the connector and all pins look securly placed in it, but I can not check connections with ECU if I can't find it :)

On some topics they say it could be located in passanger's footwell? Where exactly is that, behind glove box, or somewhere else? On the car's floor I found just airbag computer.

Thanks
You need either a modified KKL cable with a switch or a set of adapters. Different ECU's require different pin access and a single, unmodified cable won't do it.
Contact Rarebear on here for one of his modified KKL leads or search eBay for 'Alfa Romeo diagnostic cable's and buy a set from "buy-me-from-Dan".

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
He is saying he can't connect to the engine ECU, you DO NOT need a modified cable to connect to the engine ECU.

A std KKL cable with pin 7 should be fine.

Not 100% sure on the ECU location, but look in the passenger footwell, where their feet would be if their legs are stretched out, for a plastic cover on the firewall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have all of these cables. As i said, i can connect everywhere but engine's ECU.
You can connect to engine with ELM327 cable with no adapters. Also with basic KKL cable. Adapters are for everything else.

David, thanks, i have located ECU!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rarebear, thanks. I'm getting 0 volts. What steps should i take trying to fix this? New cable from OBD2 connector to ECU? Or can i try something else first?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Check the back of the female connector , to see if the 12v connection is life

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
If all fails install a cable directly from the battery to the obd connector pin7

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have 12 volts on pin 16. I was checking volts with key in OFF. Should it be in MAR?
Can i just add cable from pin 17 to 7?

edit: There's no voltage in MAR position also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some new info:

-pin 7 is not in short circuit with chassis
-everything inside ECU looks fine and is in contact

It should work but it doesn't. Are there any fuses by some chance t check? :p That would be too easy for Alfa I guess ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have you tried the cable on another alfa?

Alfa diag will not connect to my facelift 156 but will to the 147 and old 156?

Fiat ECUscan will connect to everything with the KKL but with the ELM will not connect to the face lift 156 or fiat 500?

The ELM will work on the motorbike and the smart roadster both of which are newer than the alfas?

They should in theory all connect as all they do is read a protocol?

Being and alfa every statement ends in a "?"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you tried the cable on another alfa?

Alfa diag will not connect to my facelift 156 but will to the 147 and old 156?

Fiat ECUscan will connect to everything with the KKL but with the ELM will not connect to the face lift 156 or fiat 500?

The ELM will work on the motorbike and the smart roadster both of which are newer than the alfas?

They should in theory all connect as all they do is read a protocol?

Being and alfa every statement ends in a "?"
I have tried DnEcuDiag, no luck.
I have tried KKL cable. ELM interface is tested on another FL Alfa with same engine and it works.

I think I'm running out of things to try :confused:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have tried DnEcuDiag, no luck.
I have tried KKL cable. ELM interface is tested on another FL Alfa with same engine and it works.

I think I'm running out of things to try :confused:
Have you used Multiecuscan?
Www.Multiecuscan.net

That's what I use on my 2005 156 and never had an issue with the 3 laptops I've had it installed on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts