Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aux belt squeals at low revs. Only happens when the engine is warmed up. I know the automatic tensioner should do its job but can you tighted the belt a bit?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
When was the aux belt & tensioner last replaced?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tensioner never replaced. Belt 1000 or so miles ago. The fact it only happens when warm sounds like when the belt gets hot it expands and comes a bit too loose. I could be talking nonsence here though.

D

·
0 Posts
Want me to have a hear:p Sounds like your diagnosis is on the right track wouldn't a hard job to tackle yourself.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Quite likely that your 6-year old tensioner isn't up to the job any more.

It is recomended to replace all belts & all tensioners every 3-years/36000miles.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya when I was getting the tbelt done I couldnt afford any more so I took a chance! Any quick fix to tide me over for a few months?

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
I re-used an old tensioner with a new belt, and it squeaked as well.

You need top replace the fixed one as well as the moving one BTW.

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
Its not too difficult to do yourself. The parts will cost around £75 from somewhere like shop4parts.

If you leave it you run the risk of loosing the belt and breaking down.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Could just be rubber dust in the pulleys which are causing the noise. Remove the belt and clean the multi vees in the pulleys with a wire brush.:rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
I presume it would go something along the ines of loosening the tensioners and the belt will come replace tensioner with a new one and have a new belt to go on and away ya go.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The tensioner is spring loaded, and from memory, a spanner of 15mm is needed to push back the spring. Then, you can remove the belt. BTW, some tensioners have a couple of holes which line up and you can fit a long 4mm bolt through it or similar to lock it. If not, you may find that 2 people are needed. One from the top to move the belt, and one from underneath (after removing the o/s/f wheel and splash shield in the wheelarch which keeps the engine pulleys clean) to work the spanner. Fiddly, but not hard.

Before removing make a careful note if there are any spare vees on any of the pulleys, and remember to fit the belt excatly as it was fitted before otherwise it will be noisy and wear the belt prematurely.

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
The easiest way I found was just to unbolt the tensioner from the engine.

It sounds like it will need to be removed for replacement anyway.

The new one is then bolted on the new belt fitted over the pulleys and the tensioner levered over anticlockwise against it spring. The bolt at the top is Left hand threaded so it wont unscrew when you lever over the tensioner with the spanner.

The fixed tensioner also has a 15mm bolt in its center, and you will need a recessed spanner to undo it. There isn't enough space to get a socket in because of the chassis, and a regular spanner won't be recessed enough.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Hi. Sorry to be a little off topic, but I bought this aux belt pulley with slightly smaller diameter and I want to change it.
156 lighten crank

If I remove the aux belt as described here, the pulley is held by 4 screws that will be presumably tightened with high torque, am I right? Do you think I will be able to change it at home? Do I need to lock the engine somehow (in gear??) not to turn the crank when unscrewing the bolts? Or is it a simple job and it is just me expecting difficulties?

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
The 4 bolts that hold the pulley are not especially tight. I can't remember the figure off the top of my head though.

You shouldn't need to lock the engine but if you do you can lock it pretty well by putting the car in 5th gear and getting someone to hold the brakes on whilst you undo the bolts.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just as a follow up, the noise was a broken exhaust bracket squeaking, not the aux belt. Wait for that to go soon...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts