Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a second hand 159 SW. I like this one:

www.Avto.net (sorry www is in Slovene)

The car is supposed to have 57 KKM on the clock but a friend of mine says that the driver's seat should not look like that after just 57 KKM. Please check the last picture and tell me your opinion.

Do you think 18 KEUR is a good price for this car?

·
Registered
157 Posts
My car has done 38k miles, and my drivers seat is quite worn, the leather does not look 'loose' like that one you are looking at, but the side bolsters by my hips are looking worn.

I would say 159 seats do seem to wear prematurely (In my experience anyway) so the mileage could be genuine.

As always, when looking at a car to buy, if anything doesn't look right to you then walk away...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I looked at an 18 month old 2.4Ti with 9K on the clock, and was instantly struck by how worn the drivers seat looked.

Leather does wear of course, but this looked worse than my Golf GTi when it went back with 60K on.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I looked at an 18 month old 2.4Ti with 9K on the clock, and was instantly struck by how worn the drivers seat looked.

Leather does wear of course, but this looked worse than my Golf GTi when it went back with 60K on.
LE coming up to one year old and about 6000 miles. Leather looks very creased and off colour on the squab bolsters. So personally, I'd say no to the condition being an indicator of mileage

·
Registered
73 Posts
LE coming up to one year old and about 6000 miles. Leather looks very creased and off colour on the squab bolsters. So personally, I'd say no to the condition being an indicator of mileage
LE exactly a year old yesterday, 9,500 miles and the leather does look quite warn on the squab bolsters too. Quite surprised at this to be honest but I presume the leather used is softer than found in german marques - wouldn't consider this to be a deciding factor unless you personally don't like the look of it.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
my 156 has done 59k miles and they look like new, even the drivers side, nothing like that, no creases at all. id say its done more than the miles suggest, or the previous owner was a sumo:eek:

·
Registered
197 Posts
22k miles in and my seats look pretty good:thumbs:
In fact the drivers side looks no different to the passenger side:)
Must be my perfectly formed buns!! Like 2 hard boiled eggs in a hanky:lol:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Like new

My 159 has done 76k and the seats look and feel like new. Like most second hand cars it all depends on how the previous owner has looked after them. Apart from the odd stone chips on the bonnet mines still like new but then again I wash it every week and clean it out every two. Polished regularly and wheels off for a real deep clean every 6 months.

And now it's going to be replaced by a new 159 V6 :):):)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Lots of factors to consider, like does (s)he have kids who like to jump in daddy's car and pretend to drive it!

Are they Morbidly Obese

I'm sure you can find another example with better seats! good luck!

·
Registered
779 Posts
My instincts tell me that you are not happy with the car. You sound like you'd prefer the seats to be in better condition than they are.
At the end of the day you are about to buy a (nearly) new car that costs a fair bit of money and should be 100% happy with it. I have no doubt that the posted car is genuine but is that enough ?

Is it not practical in Slovenia to import from Italy or Belgium ? The cars there are much cheaper and for 18k euros you should be able to pickup a nice 12-18 month old with good spec/options and superb condition.

Remember , the most important thing with buying a new car is that you are happy with it and do not compromise on colour , options , engine etc.. Wait for the car you actually want , not one that 'will do' :)

Took me 4 months to find the exact car I wanted (at a price I thought was fair) , I am so glad I waited.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My instincts tell me that you are not happy with the car. You sound like you'd prefer the seats to be in better condition than they are.
At the end of the day you are about to buy a (nearly) new car that costs a fair bit of money and should be 100% happy with it. I have no doubt that the posted car is genuine but is that enough ?

Is it not practical in Slovenia to import from Italy or Belgium ? The cars there are much cheaper and for 18k euros you should be able to pickup a nice 12-18 month old with good spec/options and superb condition.

Remember , the most important thing with buying a new car is that you are happy with it and do not compromise on colour , options , engine etc.. Wait for the car you actually want , not one that 'will do' :)

Took me 4 months to find the exact car I wanted (at a price I thought was fair) , I am so glad I waited.
Thanks TimboZero. You are perfectly right by saying '...should be 100% happy with it' So I will take my time and try to find something that will be IT.

Some of my other candidates:

www.Avto.net

www.Avto.net

www.Avto.net

www.Avto.net

Regarding imported cars: majority of second hand Alfas come to Slovenia from Italy and some from Germany and Belgium. But people say that majority of imported cars have much higher mileage that the clock says. Basically the car is priced higher if it was bought new in Slovenia.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Alex , OK I want to go a step further in my previous post. The links you posted to your 'other candidates' are all different cars. 2 are silver , 1 has satnav , 2 are Sportwagons etc etc..
Take some time and think exactly what you want , colour , saloon or estate , leather or cloth , xenons or not etc etc..
When the right car comes along you will love it because its the one you wanted , not because 'it was close enough' :)

Sorry if I am misjudging this , you just 'feel' like I was when I saw a 159 , I had to have one and the faster the better. In the end I decided I wanted a black 2.4 Ti Saloon with black leather interior and no satnav and , I am so glad I made that decision and waited till one came along :)

Not sure about how easy it is to 'hack' the mileage on an Alfa 159 , local firms always say imports are bad for any reason they can think of as they want the business and to stop you getting it cheaper from an import. Maybe the experts here will know if its even possible to 'hack' a 159s mileage.

U

·
0 Posts
22k miles in and my seats look pretty good:thumbs:
In fact the drivers side looks no different to the passenger side:)
Must be my perfectly formed buns!! Like 2 hard boiled eggs in a hanky:lol:
LOL - thats not a thought I want in my head :tut: :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts