Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I just wondered if it is possible to spray the thin black plastic strips that are on the front and rear bumpers of the 147. It seems a shame to have colour coded bumpers but then have this awful black strip across the middle of them??

The car I have just put a deposit on is a 2002 Alfa Red 147.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
The old saying "some like it and some do not' applies here..... I actually like the strips :) ....
as for painting the strips....I suspect you will be hard pressed to get anything to stick to it permanently

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
yes you can paint them, just pop them out and spray them..
give them a good few thin coats of primer first giving each one ample time to dry, then again a good few thin coats of paint, and then to coats of lacquer :)

like Stori said though, i wouldn't be 100% on whether the paint would actually stick or not.. maybe sand the surface down a little first to give the paint some little ridges to hold onto? You wouldn't be able to see the scratches once painted, you'd have to be sure you want them that way before you do it though or you'd be buying some new strips to replace them with

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stori. Personally I don't like the black strips, (one of the reasons I was ideally looking for a black 147) but as you say, that's what I'm worried about, getting it done and then it flaking or chipping off and looking awful!

Has anyone on here had it done successfully?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes you can paint them, just pop them out and spray them..
give them a good few thin coats of primer first giving each one ample time to dry, then again a good few thin coats of paint, and then to coats of lacquer :)

like Stori said though, i wouldn't be 100% on whether the paint would actually stick or not.. maybe sand the surface down a little first to give the paint some little ridges to hold onto? You wouldn't be able to see the scratches once painted, you'd have to be sure you want them that way before you do it though or you'd be buying some new strips to replace them with
Thanks! We handily have a friend that is a car sprayer so maybe he will have an idea whether the paint will stick or not! I am hoping some people on here may have done it, and can offer advice on the longevity of the finish.......

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Thanks! We handily have a friend that is a car sprayer so maybe he will have an idea whether the paint will stick or not! I am hoping some people on here may have done it, and can offer advice on the longevity of the finish.......
if you have a friend who's a painter, you'll have no problems I'm sure :thumbs:

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
On my Nova (no laughing) i sprayed my bumpers and dash Red like the rest of my car. Did quite a good job considering i was only using tins of paint rather than a spray gun! To do it i just keyed the surface then used a plastic primer before adding the paint. Did the job nicely.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
They don't "pop out", they are part of the bumper... :rolleyes:
Just checked and strangely the 147 strips DO pop out.
156 strips are part of the bumper though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my Nova (no laughing) i sprayed my bumpers and dash Red like the rest of my car. Did quite a good job considering i was only using tins of paint rather than a spray gun! To do it i just keyed the surface then used a plastic primer before adding the paint. Did the job nicely.
Great! Just wondered, did they weather ok over time? Any chips or anything?

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
THey seemed grand, only had it about a year as it got stolen but it did the job and as i said it was done very cheaply by myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What "black strips" are you on about :confused:
They are the thin plastic strips on the back and front bumper. The front one also incorporates the number plate holder and the front lamp washers I think......

I think I will prob get them sprayed as I think they would look so much better colour coded, especially the one on the back bumper, it's pointless it being black!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
They need a special Rubber primer, or else they will peal. It took quite a few attempts to get mine to stay, and even now the one i pealing (Luckily I painted it black)

The 156 is a right royal *******, as Dave says they are stuck on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If they pop out then can you just remove them? Or at least the one on the back anyway as it serves no actual purpose? But then I assume it may leave some kind of hole behind??

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
They do pop out and are a softish material, they leave a deep groove behind though.

Unlike the 156, whose rubbing strips are a part of the bumper, just sprayed black.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Unlike the 156, whose rubbing strips are a part of the bumper, just sprayed black.
On the original 156's the black strips were just unpainted plastic.
Must have been masked off when the cars were painted.

So moving to painted strips in 2002 was a cost reduction measure!
Less masking & two production steps less.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts