Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Power = torque x revs (more or less), so raising the rev limit will get you more power at the top end.

See Honda VTECs, Mazda rotary engines and F1, for example. This is also how touring cars can get 270+ bhp out of a two litre naturally aspirated engine - the trade off is a drastic reduction in the engine's lifespan.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
yes

power [kW] = 2 * PI * torque [Nm] * rpm / 60 / 1000

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts
For example, if your car made 200lbft at all revs, it would be making the following power:

1000rpm = 38bhp
2000rpm = 76bhp
3000rpm = 114bhp
4000rpm = 152bhp
5000rpm = 190bhp
6000rpm = 228bhp
7000rpm = 266bhp
8000rpm = 304bhp

In real life what tends to happen is torque output drops as revs rise, leaving you with a point in which revving more doesn't give you any more power..

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Torque output drops with higher revs due to lower combustion efficiency and engine inner loses increase.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You see, my mate has just bought a corsa VXR and he keeps banging on about it being the 'Arctic' which has a different (fart) exhaust and has 15bhp more (204bhp). Looking at parkers figures, the arctic version has more power but the same torque output as the normal version and has the same 0-60 and top speed.

So I'm confused as to where vauxhall have pulled this 15bhp out of the bag? If the arctic version has more revs the top speed should increase by a few mph's no?

As for the corsa itself, not a bad little car although not the kind of thing I'd go for. In reality, is only as quick as my modded diesel on the local bypass' etc and it doesn't even have a water temp guage :lol:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
You see, my mate has just bought a corsa VXR and he keeps banging on about it being the 'Arctic' which has a different (fart) exhaust and has 15bhp more (204bhp). Looking at parkers figures, the arctic version has more power but the same torque output as the normal version and has the same 0-60 and top speed.

So I'm confused as to where vauxhall have pulled this 15bhp out of the bag? If the arctic version has more revs the top speed should increase by a few mph's no?

As for the corsa itself, not a bad little car although not the kind of thing I'd go for. In reality, is only as quick as my modded diesel on the local bypass' etc and it doesn't even have a water temp guage :lol:
It's easy. If you look on the dyno below max torque is reached at 3750rpm, max power at 5500rpm. If you increase torque a little at 5500rpm (but not more than at 3750), you'll get still the same top torque, but higher power.

PS. Not a Corsa but modded Astra GTC or so

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you could have the same peak torque but more torque later in the revs which equates to more horse power?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts