Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving a 2002 147 1.9 JTD that came with 17" SuperSport wheels (love them!), however, the roads where I live are pretty horrible and it has taken a toll on my suspension. The car makes very bad sounds going over bumps or bad uneven roads, on which it also shakes like crazy, while being accompanied by squeaky sounds and sounds I can only describe as "metally". I asked my dad to go to a mechanic and fix it, but I didn't have enough for new parts so I bought second hand parts, taking my friend's advice. It has not fixed the problems, AND, the car sits cca. 4 cm higher in the front now, thanks to the standard springs in the front. And I even spent over 250€ on this, and I regret it fully.

What can I do? There's an Alfa service 5 minutes away (repairs were done by a good mechanic, but I guess there's only so much he can do with second hand parts, but not a certified Alfa service), but I don't know if they'll charge me money just to see and tell me what's wrong, because I don't have a lot of money right now.

Either way, please help me! I'd like the car to sit low like it used to before, tho. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I can take some tomorrow if you guys request them.

Also, brakes were replaced as well, and now everytime I brake harder, the ABS and ASR errors start showing up all over the dash, and there's a squealing noise when driving slow and coming to a stop (sometimes only). I don't know a lot about cars and parts, especially the parts that make up the suspension. All of that is foreign to me.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
What parts did you already have replaced?

There's lots of components that can cause squeaks/creaks/bumps etc. in the front suspension set up.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Sounds like the 2nd hand parts were off a xifferent spec car. Bet you haven't got the original springs and brakes.

Squeaking suspension isn't likely to be springs but upper and/or lower arms, anti-roll bar and possibly shocks. And used arms will be the same ... New parts!!

Oh and you need a mechanic that knows what they are doing ... This one sounds a right tool ... Your friend isn't much better!

Would help if you tell us where in Europe you are ...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Bloody hell! Get your money back from that mechanic.

As said below sounds like wrong springs were fitted, affecting ride height. Squeaks/creaks etc generally come from wishbone bushes (lots of threads on those) or ARB bushes.

If your ride is crashy your shocks may be worn.

Post details of everything that has been done and which parts were 2nd hand.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Since I tols my dad to go and get the parts and drive it to the mechanic, IDK what was replaced exactly, but I remember from the top of my mind what he told me was changed.

Parts changed, all 2nd hand I think: shocks and springs (front only), silent blocks, upper and/or lower arms, some stabilizator thing, and brakes, and he did my alignment.

I live in Bosnia & Herzegovina, forgot to specify that. I dont even know where Id get the new parts, without going to the certified service because theyll probably take my money just to tell me what parts to get and where.

Holy ****, I just found a set of silent blocks + upper and lower arms, for 375€ and theres even a "full" set for 625€... I dont have this kind of money.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I don't know what silent blocks are. Seems like the main issue is incorrect springs fitted. Springs don't really need replacing, unless they rust badly.

I would take it back and insist they put original springs back on.

·
Registered
30,220 Posts
Either way, please help me! I'd like the car to sit low like it used to before, tho. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I can take some tomorrow if you guys request them.
Almost all standard 147 sit high on the suspension.
So if your car was low, it had aftermarket lowering springs (or had been bodged by cutting the springs...).

Replacing lowering springs with standard springs will always make the car sit high...

Were the original springs broken?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost all standard 147 sit high on the suspension.
So if your car was low, it had aftermarket lowering springs (or had been bodged by cutting the springs...).

Replacing lowering springs with standard springs will always make the car sit high...

Were the original springs broken?
I honestly have no clue. The lowering springs are red, correct ? They seem black but that could be the dust buildup, I'll clean them just enough to see if they are red, but yes, the car was very lowered. The back is still low while the front is pretty high.

Since I live in Bosnia, I was searching through some of our local (and neighbour country) Alfa forums, and I found a Serbian forum where everyone praises the suspension remont/rebuild. As in, not buying new (because, as they say, new parts available to us are usually Chinese - ITN brand, or smth like that, instead of TKW), but replacing the rubber or whatever. They say it's good for 30-60000 kilometers and is only a fraction of the price of a new set - around 150€.

However, there is not a single shop here that does this type of thing. The closest is Belgrade which is about 300 km away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For parts check out ebay and different alfa sites on the net. The only thing is that you need to make sure that the parts fit to your car, but most sellers will do that if you provide your VIN. Obviously there will be some shipping costs and maybey some custom fees, so if you save anything will depend on the price level on those parts in your own country. Obviously cheaper aftermarket parts may have worse quality than original ones, but if you ask a bit around, like on the forum here, you will get the answers you need when it comes to what to buy and not buy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For parts check out ebay and different alfa sites on the net. The only thing is that you need to make sure that the parts fit to your car, but most sellers will do that if you provide your VIN. Obviously there will be some shipping costs and maybey some custom fees, so if you save anything will depend on the price level on those parts in your own country. Obviously cheaper aftermarket parts may have worse quality than original ones, but if you ask a bit around, like on the forum here, you will get the answers you need when it comes to what to buy and not buy.
Alright, thanks ! Do you know what I should buy? It's a 1.9 JTD 81 kW.

·
Registered
30,220 Posts
I honestly have no clue. The lowering springs are red, correct ? They seem black but that could be the dust buildup, I'll clean them just enough to see if they are red, but yes, the car was very lowered. The back is still low while the front is pretty high.
Lowering springs could be black or red or yellow or blue or just about any other colour.

Have you still got the old front springs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright, thanks ! Do you know what I should buy? It's a 1.9 JTD 81 kW.
It's very hard saying what parts. Your best bet is probably to have someone go trough the front and rear parts of the car, and check the bushes etc. I had a mechanic here do it for me, and he charged me for about 1 hour of labour. Its much cheaper than buying wrong parts etc.

But since you paid someone to fix it with the used parts I think they should explain you properly why it doesen't drive well. A mechanic shouldn't fit bad parts, and when doing a suspension job I think its only fair that they check if there are any other suspension parts that needs to be replaced aswell.

·
Registered
30,220 Posts
I do not have any of the old parts. :/
Shame.
In a country where you've said it is difficult to find parts, it would have been wise to keep hold of them. Especially the springs.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts