Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trial fitted one of my new 19 wheels to the front of my GT. im waiting on spigot rings to fit correctly, but wanted to see today if they'd even fit.

They are 19" 8.5j ET38, wearing 235/35/19 tyres. Are these too wide?

Im finding that it looks like it's going to hit the upper suspension arm.

Can anyone advise

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
If it looks like it's going to hit the upper suspension arm, then probably "yes" they are too big.

You need 1cm bare minimum clearance between tyre and car.

Why 19" though? It must look odd. The GT is a teeny car. 17" should be plenty.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
17s are tiny for the GT in my opinion.

18s look great, but 19s look better.

I may need a spacer then to lower the offset to move it away from the arm

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I have nearly exactly the same configuration: 235/35R19 + 19x8.5" ET35.

So, I have 3mm more space between my tyre and the suspension, compared with you!

I have no problems at the front. No rub at all.
At the rear, the outer edge of the tyres sometimes rub against the plastic wheel arch liners, but only when the suspension is compressed a lot (eg: very big bump or turning hard/fast around a corner). Usually, there is no rubbing at all.

:)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
If it looks like it's going to hit the upper suspension arm, then probably "yes" they are too big.

You need 1cm bare minimum clearance between tyre and car.

Why 19" though? It must look odd. The GT is a teeny car. 17" should be plenty.

Ralf S.
The GT is based on the 156 SW platform. It's not a small car, granted it's not that big either relatively speaking.

As for suspension clearances, there is less than 10mm as standard.

@ The OP, there are a few owners running 19's on their GTAs. Bacon being one person who springs to mind. I'd suggest talking to him.

Edit. Or Shiny Car. Missed his post. :)

There are plenty of on line rolling radius calculators, which I've not checked, but I would have suggested that 235/30/19 or 225/35/19 as being the right tyre size? Might explain why shiny's tyres are rubbing against the arch liners. - They do this as standard anyway!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have nearly exactly the same configuration: 235/35R19 + 19x8.5" ET35.

So, I have 3mm more space between my tyre and the suspension, compared with you!

I have no problems at the front. No rub at all.
At the rear, the outer edge of the tyres sometimes rub against the plastic wheel arch liners, but only when the suspension is compressed a lot (eg: very big bump or turning hard/fast around a corner). Usually, there is no rubbing at all.

Almost identical set up then. Did you see the pics that i posted? Are you able to take a look at your car and see how much clearance yo have?

would really help

·
Registered
477 Posts
Holy crap, you are going to have one hell of a rough and noisy ride:eek:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
@Alan
I would say the same thing ! its not bad on smooth roads but unfortunately
not all roads are smooth.... and then the odd pothole
Ouch !

·
Registered
266 Posts
Holy crap, you are going to have one hell of a rough and noisy ride:eek:
I swapped 17s on my GT for 18s and the ride was really jittery and harsh but it looked incredible. Can't imagine how rough it would be on 19s... and that coming from me now driving an MX5 on coilovers and 16x8s.

Honestly, I'd consider looking at 18s out of personal experience. I'd hate to put 19s on with such little rubber between your precious rims and potholes :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - Ignore all that, you've already bought your wheels.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just trial fitted one of my new 19 wheels to the front of my GT. im waiting on spigot rings to fit correctly, but wanted to see today if they'd even fit.

They are 19" 8.5j ET38, wearing 235/35/19 tyres. Are these too wide?

Im finding that it looks like it's going to hit the upper suspension arm.
So, I fitted Lenso SC02s which I think were 18x7.5 ET35
Yours are 19x8.5 ET38, so that means you have 16mm less inner clearance, and extends 10mm further.

Cross referencing it against an 8J ET35 rim which will fit GTs says you'll have 9mm less inside and 3mm extended.

You're probably going to want a 10mm spacer, but then you might be looking at wheel arch clearance issues. This could possibly be fixed with some arch rolling.

Good luck!

---------------------

Edit. AGAIN. Did not see ShinyCar's post either. Buy 5mm spacers, see where that gets you, probably no arch rolling, so pennies saved!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whats the biggest universal spacer you can go, still allowing for the wheel to sit on the centre hub?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
whats the biggest universal spacer you can go, still allowing for the wheel to sit on the centre hub?
Depends on the wheel, if it has a chamfer on the centre-bore, then: very thin.

·
7,713 Posts
The ride quality discussion has been done to death :p but I'll repeat myself for the sake of it :lol:. If you upgrade the suspension, you'll improve the comfort overall. Eibach springs with KONI Sport dampers greatly improved mine, such that 19s + suspension upgrades felt much more comfortable than 17s with standard suspension! High quality (lighter weight) wheels helps, so avoid the cheap stuff if you can afford it.

There are plenty of on line rolling radius calculators, which I've not checked, but I would have suggested that 235/30/19 or 225/35/19 as being the right tyre size? Might explain why shiny's tyres are rubbing against the arch liners. - They do this as standard anyway!
Yes, I had 225/35R19 Toyo Proxes4 to begin with. No rub at all, including the rear. Great stance, great handling. ONLY issue I had was the relatively low 88 load index, which was too low for my V6. So I didn't want to do that again.

After the Toyo's wore out, I changed to 235/35R19 Continental Contisportcontact3 (have had high-end Conti's on other cars and love them). Only since, have I had rubbing at the rear, and the wide rubber doesn't have the same 'stretched look' as 225's.

If you have a 1.9 or 2.0 GT, then the load index might be lower than the '91' on my 3.2. In which case, you could use 225's if you only need at least '88'.

Almost identical set up then. Did you see the pics that i posted? Are you able to take a look at your car and see how much clearance yo have?

would really help
If I have chance, I'll try and check it out when I next have the trolley jack out.

Car with 225's: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/22016129/377216800.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ride quality discussion has been done to death :p but I'll repeat myself for the sake of it :lol:. If you upgrade the suspension, you'll improve the comfort overall. Eibach springs with KONI Sport dampers greatly improved mine, such that 19s + suspension upgrades felt much more comfortable than 17s with standard suspension! High quality (lighter weight) wheels helps, so avoid the cheap stuff if you can afford it.

Yes, I had 225/35R19 Toyo Proxes4 to begin with. No rub at all, including the rear. Great stance, great handling. ONLY issue I had was the relatively low 88 load index, which was too low for my V6. So I didn't want to do that again.

After the Toyo's wore out, I changed to 235/35R19 Continental Contisportcontact3 (have had high-end Conti's on other cars and love them). Only since, have I had rubbing at the rear, and the wide rubber doesn't have the same 'stretched look' as 225's.

If you have a 1.9 or 2.0 GT, then the load index might be lower than the '91' on my 3.2. In which case, you could use 225's if you only need at least '88'.

If I have chance, I'll try and check it out when I next have the trolley jack out.

Car with 225's: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/22016129/377216800.jpg

mate, your GT is stunning on those wheels.

well if my spigot rings arrive tomorrow i will try and fit the wheels. If they dont fit, then im hoping a universal 5-10mm spacer will work, but this will depend on the width of the hub centre as i still need the wheel to sit on the bore, as im using wobbly bolts.

fingers crossed

S

·
0 Posts
If the wheel clears the suspension it will always clear the suspension.

The front uses a twin arm system so as long as there is a bit of clearance it'll be fine . The tyre won't get closer to the suspension as it moves.

What you'll need to consider is the wheel hitting the arch liner or wing when cornering over a bump. And the extra width causing the tyre to foul on the inner arch or body at full lock.

·
7,713 Posts
Are you able to take a look at your car and see how much clearance yo have?
OK, I did a measurement like yours. Using feeler gauges, there is 2mm clearance (the 3 feeler gauges totalled 2.01mm thickness) between the tyre and the steering knuckle.

With your +38mm offset - presuming everything is an 'exact', which it probably isn't - your tyres will rub 'by 1mm', if you have 235/35R19 tyres. Not all tyres are the same shape thought; it's possibly my Conti's are 'more square' than other brands.

If you have 225/35R19, could be ok. But otherwise, you should be ok if you add a 3-5mm spacer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts