Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a little scared about increased risk of theft with keyless entry (hackers send a signal similar to what the key does and steal the car).

However I would really like to have the convenience package. The driver-side glove compartment would be great for my glasses and the lighted door handles look quite nice. Does anybody know whether you can get the convenience package and still keep keyless entry deactivated?

Thanks all!

Davide

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you will find it too convenient to turn it off :)
:)

This weekend I hated it... It worked a few times... then I took the keys from my pocket and stuck them in my backpack... and it stopped working!

Then I had to take them out again... I guess I could get to grips with it and appreciate the convenience... but car theft worries me!!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Just get one of those pouches to keep the keys in that block the signal.
Not heard of any Alfas being stolen using this method by the way. I doubt they are a target as they stand out so much.

·
Premium Member
7,851 Posts
Hi All,

However I would really like to have the convenience package. The driver-side glove compartment would be great for my glasses and the lighted door handles look quite nice. Does anybody know whether you can get the convenience package and still keep keyless entry deactivated?
I have it, and have keyless entry disabled practically from the start. No problem at all ..... ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine doesn't have it, I kind of miss it as my old car had it. But, 90% of the time I am opening the rear door first to put my bag / jacket etc on the back seat. My old car was 2 door so never had this issue. Wonder why the manufacturers haven't put the sensors on the rear door handles for this reason? Seems a bit stupid if you get my thinking.

And agree if you have it, get two of those signal blocker wallets, for the spare key as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wonder why the manufacturers haven't put the sensors on the rear door handles for this reason? Seems a bit stupid if you get my thinking.
Now I understand why it was not working... it was when I tried to open the back door first!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't like keyless entry, I like to press a button on the fob and know it's locked/unlocked. I'd also like to have somewhere to put the key/fob rather than the cup holder door pocket or armrest (I don't want something as big as an alfa key in my pocket while I'm driving). I'm not sure the loss of a traditional ignition switch is a huge step forward, after all racing cars had starter buttons because they didn't have a traditional ignition switch - not the other way around.

OT but - I'd also like a foolproof (hardwired) way of killing the engine in a car with throttle, brakes and gearbox under software control. I know it was due to the throttle being trapped under a floor mat but the family who died in the USA in a Lexus had time to call the police but couldn't work out how to stop the engine - apparently a 3-second press of the start/stop button would have done it, but they didn't know.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,851 Posts
500 Euros to get the illuminated driver's vanity mirror seems pricey..

:p
THe convenience pack includes:

Keyless Entry
845 extra storage in dashboard driver's side
83Z illuminated door handles
50X illuminated vanity mirror driver

storage and lit doorhandles are quite convenient ;)

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Mine doesn't have it, I kind of miss it as my old car had it. But, 90% of the time I am opening the rear door first to put my bag / jacket etc on the back seat. My old car was 2 door so never had this issue. Wonder why the manufacturers haven't put the sensors on the rear door handles for this reason? Seems a bit stupid if you get my thinking.

And agree if you have it, get two of those signal blocker wallets, for the spare key as well.
Toyota and related cars now have sensors in the front door handles that work without buttons, and a button to release the boot if the key is behind the car. So if you want to put something on a rear seat, you simply stick your hand into the gap between either front door handle and the door, and the car unlocks all the doors (if set to do that in the settings), making it easy to open a rear door to put something in there.
The sensors work very well, and there's no risk of a button sticking or rubber perishing.

If you don't use the spare key often, you don't need another signal blocker wallet. Simply put it in any metal tin with a metal lid, or even just wrap it in a few layers of foil. If you want to be sure that it's blocking the signal, take your key in its custom signal blocking solution to the car and try to open the door. If it doesn't open, you've blocked the signal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts