Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am currently considering changing my 2006 GT. If I get another GT I would like to get it with the Q2 split diff as it's supposed to significantly improve the handling of the car. But having looked at the Alfaromeo.ie web site I see no mention of Q2 at all.

I checked out the alfaromeo.co.uk site and Q2 is listed there in the GT section of the site as an option for the 1.9 JTDm.

Can anyone tell me what the story is?

Thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
rfitz, welcome to AO.com and from another fellow Irish GT owner

The Q2 is not down as any available option on any new model over here which is a shame, however if you are thinking of buying new it might be better & cheaper for you to buy a UK car and import and have it all done for you at the factory

I have a feeling Gerry Campbell does the Q2 upgrade, so might be worth giving him a call. Also, try logging into AlfaIreland
It's a new site and new Alfa owners are always welcome

This thread might also suit you on boards...Irish guy looking for a GT circa same year as yours

You might also get in touch with CCOVICH on here. I was talking to him the other day and he was mentioning the Q2 for his so maybe he has some info on who & prices.

I'd be interested in getting it done myself but wonder what the implications would be for the warranty of it wasn't done by the dealer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tee-O. I have to bring my current car in for a service so I am going to have a chat with the dealer and see if they can shed any light on the issue.

Buying in the UK and importing the car might be an option - it's a bit of a pain in the neck though. It's really strange, and annoying, that Q2 is not listed as an option here in Ireland.

I'll share any info I find out.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you get it fitted at the dealer it'll be covered under the existing warranty. The cost 'was' somewhere in the region of €450 + fitting. I wanted it last year, but there was not one GT in the country or even one on route with it fitted.

Just bare in mind that this can only be fitted to GT's with the 3.2 V6 and the JTD engine (6 speed box).

Quite a few have retrofitted the diff to their cars on here (not just GT's). Also 1 or 2 on boards.ie :cool:

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Q2 isn't an option in australia either, however a number of us (V6 GT, GTA) have had them fitted. they were originally sourced from EB Spares in the UK, imported by a local alfa workshop, then fitted by everyone's own prefered service department.

i don't know what would be more economical for you, or affect resale: importing your car from the UK or retrofitting the Q2 that you buy yourself.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Importing cars into Ireland is a bit messy because of the tax laws. Basically, you can buy a car much cheaper in the UK or Europe, but then when you bring it into the country you get hit for a huge tax bill. So after you have paid the tax it ends up being no cheaper, but a lot more hassle.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Importing cars into Ireland is a bit messy because of the tax laws. Basically, you can buy a car much cheaper in the UK or Europe, but then when you bring it into the country you get hit for a huge tax bill. So after you have paid the tax it ends up being no cheaper, but a lot more hassle.
I think with the exchange rate from € to GBP being in our favour at the moment, it should work out cheaper to import. I looked into it and you could get a new Blackline 1.9JTDm for about €4-5k cheaper by importing right now. Take the reduced VRT for diesels into consideration in July and you could save more with also the possibility of an even better exchange rate.

Blackline comes with the Q2 option

And if you are buying new, you only need to go up North and drive it back. Simple as that

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

Not really. I recently imported my GT and other than some silly errors on my part that ending up costing me around €500, it was no real trouble. I will have ended up paying around the same money for a car in better condition and with less miles than was on offer in Ireland (This includes all my costs-travel, transport, AA inspection etc). Doesn't hold true in every case, but is certainly worth looking into-especially in the case of a GT of which there is limited stock in Ireland.

As Tom says, it certainly would make sense considering it now with the Eur/GBP in our favour.

Re. the Q2 diff, I will probably wait until my next service is due, and see if Gerry Campbell can do it for me. I have talked to a guy who has driven a JTD with a Q2 diff fitted and can't speak highly enough of the experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks CCOVICH & Tee-O, you make a good argument. I had never really considered the import option. Food for thought...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts