Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This decided to fall off the Spider yesterday. It looks like a pin has fallen out and I can’t find it. Is the pin meant to come out? If so has anyone got a spare? Or am I looking at needing a complete new latch and handle etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just had a look at mine and it seems to be a pressed fit,unless the spring holds it in place somehow.Pin is a lot narrower on the end you cant see in your photo too,so not going to be an easy bodge.... er'm i mean fix :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine used to fall out regularly when the roof was down and I always managed to find it in the roof compartment. The pin has a splined end and just holds itself in (or not). Mine now held in with black insulating tape!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... I’ll have a good look around for the missing pin. I didn’t realise that it had fallen off until I put the hood up yesterday. I found the hook and the spring where the hood folds into. Failing that, I think I’ve managed to source a complete replacement latch and handle.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks... I’ll have a good look around for the missing pin. I didn’t realise that it had fallen off until I put the hood up yesterday. I found the hook and the spring where the hood folds into. Failing that, I think I’ve managed to source a complete replacement latch and handle.
These guys do a repair kit if your replacement doesn’t work out,

Alfa Romeo GTV/SPIDER (916) ROOF LOCK REPAIR KIT SPIDER (916)

I have bought a few other bits from them in the past and found them to be very good, can’t vouch for this particular item but might be worth a go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, you can easily replace the lost pin with a thin long bolt and nut. I have done this on mine on one of those brackets which broke due to metal fatigue. Dont know off hand the length and diameter as i just searched through my hardware bits tin to find something suitable.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The Ferrari bolt is M5.2 will it be too big? Its £30 so maybe buy a couple of cheap bolts and see what size the hole is.
Have another look where the hood drops down to see if you can find it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a bolt that didn’t quite fit the larger of the two holes that screwed in so it’s not likely to come out and used that so it seems to be fixed. No sign of the missing pin but I’ll keep looking. Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: JRow

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stand corrected, it was an easy bodge :thumbup:
I like to think of it more as a scientificly researched and engineered solution that is an improvement on the original and obviously flawed design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found a bolt that didn’t quite fit the larger of the two holes that screwed in so it’s not likely to come out and used that so it seems to be fixed. No sign of the missing pin but I’ll keep looking. Thanks for all the help.

I had pretty much the same problem on my spider last year and solved kind the same way.
For a more elegant solution you could use a flat head bolt

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE; the hood decided not to work today and while manually opening it, I found the missing pin.

Reactions: alfapash

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the pin has a splined end as suggested by nigull could you put a series of centre dots round the circumference to replicate the splines?
Just an idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts