Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2007 2.4 SW Qtronic and although the car seems to be in amazing condition both mechanically and bodily I am uneasy about the 17918 kms before a service is due I get on the maintenance reading.

Car has done 123000 kms and I have the bills for a cambelt service and various other bits that have been carried out in the last month. I was given all the bills that the 2nd owner had and they back up a pretty good service record, however the last oil service was carried out at 89000 kms according to the bills. The previous owner seemed very honest, let me spend ages dirving and checking over the car and told me it was about 18k until the next service so an oil service had been carried out since but he didn't have the bill to hand and seemed a bit vague about it.

I was just gonna bite the bullet and pay for a long lfe service but the car seems so straight that I'm unsure if I should now. I'm reluctant to phone the last owner and push the point as he agreed to get the cam belt changed before I bought the car but by the time the main dealer had finished doing glow plugs and various other jobs the bill came to 1600 Euros and I know he was pretty gutted and a bit unhappy, understandably, as I drove away as he'd been expecting a bill of about 700 Euros.

Should I believe the maintainance indicator or get the oil and filter changed?

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
I would just change the oil & filter, and I would do so every 6,000 miles regardless. How come you are in kilometres?

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
In that case oil & filter change every 10,000 kilometres, it should keep your turbo happy.

N

·
0 Posts
There is a difference in France between service (revison) and oil change (vidange).

Is the oil change included in the service? I don't think so for the DERVs.
They have a seperate oil change based on the degradation, no?

What's the service schedule for the 2.4? 36K km or 2 years IIRC

What makes you think scam?

Do an oil change if you think there is an issue.
Making sure to get the service interval & oil thingy reset.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a difference in France between service (revison) and oil change (vidange).

Is the oil change included in the service? I don't think so for the DERVs.
They have a seperate oil change based on the degradation, no?

What's the service schedule for the 2.4? 36K km or 2 years IIRC

What makes you think scam?

Do an oil change if you think there is an issue.
Making sure to get the service interval & oil thingy reset.

:confused:
Yes 36K and I don't think it's a scam, just being cautious having spent 10.5k on the car! I thought about just doing an oil and filter change with my local garage but then I have the hassle of the service interval not being reset. I think a main dealer is gonna hit me for about 200 Euros for an oil service. I think I'll probably bite the bullet,

The car has just had a cambelt and water pump service at a main dealer so I'd like to think they'd have suggested an oil change if they thought it was due though. Maybe I'm being too paranoid

Thanks for the input all

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
The car has just had a cambelt and water pump service at a main dealer so I'd like to think they'd have suggested an oil change if they thought it was due though. Maybe I'm being too paranoid
My experience of French dealers is they won't foist oil changes
on you. You have to ask for them if they aren't scheduled.

They normally don't bother about the service-time either, just mileage.
So you have to almost force then to do a service if you hit 24 months before
clocking 36K km.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts