Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever fitted and transported home a spare leather interior for a GT actually in a GT? Want to pick one up (complete with door cards) and would rather take the GT than the VW van for time, economy and comfort reasons.

If it's been done, how did the 3d jigsaw work out? I was thinking no shelf, put one front seat upside down over the passenger seat, then either- other front seat on back seats and new back seats squeezed around boot and back seat with doorcards fitted wherever, or back seats folded and other front seat, back seats and doorcards fitted in the back space.

Seller suggests removing the existing back seat and maybe front passenger seat and this would obviously work too, but I'd rather give them the full leather treatment before fitting.

Also, what is required to connect heated front seats where none have been fitted before in an 2008 model? I assume the wiring and plug will be on the floor somewhere in there..?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I say where there’s a will there’s a way, fold back seats down and put front seats in there top and tail,maybe move your front passenger seat all way forward for extra room. Then pack rest of it around them seats?
As for the electrics sorry can’t answer how easy or difficult it will be or if wiring is already there but it is certainly doable just depends if you need to run wiring yourself aswell as getting hold of switches etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say where there’s a will there’s a way,

I'm in the funeral industry, and in my experience where there's a Will, there's a family... :biglaugh:

I was thinking along those lines too as another possibility, but was hoping someone would chip in who's actually done it. Thanks for the thought though!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just remove the current seats before the trip and place the new seats in their places.
That's the safest and easiest way.

Otherwise if you put new seats over the old seats you risk perforations, deformations or not enough space for everything.

P.S. In the past I have bought a full interior (seats and door cards) and it came packed in a standard euro pallet. That means a size like 1x1x1 meters or even more.

The owners manual of GT says, that the full trunk capacity with folded seats is 906 litres.
1m3 is more than 906 litres. :D

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It takes 5 mins to remove the front seat. I'd be confident all would fit then. However, your van sounds like the most suitable chariot.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Bought the new GT tonight and had a quick look with the seats folded, and I reckon it's not too bad with one front seat up front on top of the existing passenger seat (upside down) and other behind the front seats on it's back with base near side window. Then rest packed around it, but yes, with front seat removed and two up front, it is very do-able I think! I'll let y'all know...

I'm moving 3 households in my VW T5 van at the mo, and my wife used to work shows floggin stuff that I packed in the van, so I'm a master at 3D packing..... :thumbup:Just sick of driving the damned thing and the thought of a trip up the M3 and around the M25 fills me with such delight. But in the new Alfa...? :biglaugh:

Speaking of the new GT, why oh why do they ALL have stoved in sills from numpties with jacks? At least this one is not that obvious and even though the paint is damaged slightly, the galvanisation is intact. Will get some treatment and seal on that pronto!! The black leather interior is nigh on perfect too, but I want the tan, and heated at that...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Speaking of the new GT, why oh why do they ALL have stoved in sills from numpties with jacks? At least this one is not that obvious and even though the paint is damaged slightly, the galvanisation is intact. Will get some treatment and seal on that pronto!! The black leather interior is nigh on perfect too, but I want the tan, and heated at that...
There are very few I trust to jack my GT without reminding them about the sills. If you are taking her for an MOT, new tyres with someone other than your trusted mechanic or you have to use a breakdown service NEVER let them jack it without you watching. I really do wish it would be practical for them to be made of solid steel!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be keeping an eagle eye on them, without a doubt. Picked it up today and gave it a damned good cross country thrashing for 2hrs. Certainly rapid once you get used to it.... but damn- you can tell it's on 18" rims with ultra low profiles on! Slightly skittish is the best description. Like it tries to torque steer, but the diff kicks in and it tries the other way, and vice versa. Not a problem and drives straight and true on good surfaces, which are bloody rare. My old car's balloon tyres certainly ironed out the road better than these. They, of course, are cheap Chinese crap. Matching pair front, different matching pair rear, but good tread all round. But tell you what- they were certainly ok. The only iffyness was pulling away at an angle with plenty of beans, but nothing that couldn't be controlled. We shall see what they are like in the wet, but at 40-50k miles a year, they won't last long...

Overall, very impressed. Few little things to look at but nothing serious. First is to seal in the third brake light so that it doesn't light up the boot deck cover every time...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the simple answer is Yes You Can!!!

I removed the back seat and hatch cover first and left them at home. Left front seats in place due to the air bag issues that would occur.

Picked them up last night and we spent a few interesting moments doing the 3D jigsaw but it all fits in the back. You could even carry a front passenger!

Ok, to place rear set in as it came out. To save time I didn't bolt them. Put front seats into coffin bags. These are easily available from your local funeral directors and are the PERFECT size for covering seats. Ask for the cotton covers that cover the bamboo and wicker coffins. Your local Co-op will definitely have them and they are usually just thrown out. There's always a bit of bubble wrap in there too which is useful for covering the sharp bits. Anyway, put front seats in those and then put one across the back above the rear seats sideways on it's back so that the base it upright against the side window. Place the other front seat through the boot head first but with the back upmost. Place the headrest ends on top of each other over the back seats. Put one front door trim upright behind the passenger seat but leave seat forward for now. PLace other front doorcard on top of the back of the second seat via the hatch. Squeeze in the two smaller rear cards in the back. That's the tricky bit. Then close hatch and push passenger seat back to fit. Job done!!! Then get home, clean, feed and bolt in and connect up the airbags and heater elements, leaving out the annoying seat belt warning wires...

Now, as you can see, I've not fitted the doorcards yet as I want full black ones so will look into that later or into dying options.

Also, one rear side headrest and the centre front armrest are missing. Anybody have any? Pud-in-Penrith, I believe these originally came from you...? Got the missing bits still?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trying to upload the finished fitted pics but no idea what's happening, it just keeps coming back here with no pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Didn't think this would be possible. The gt is secretly a really practical car disguised as a beautify coupe.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
What is your high score in Tetris?

Well done.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well done mate, i did the opposite switching from heated tan to Blackline seats but i removed front passenger and rear seats just incase.
Damn, shame we weren't doing it at the same time!!!

I'll be keeping the original Cloverleaf black set (in vgc) to go back in once I sell it, and keep the beige ones for the V6 one I'll replace it with... :thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is your high score in Tetris?

Well done.

Expert Level....:smokin:

My 'college' job was a 'caller' at Bookers Cash'n'Carry many many moons ago, and that involved removing wholesale boxes of crap from one badly stacked customer trolley onto another while calling out the 6 figure code to the checkout dolly. You learn really quick to think in 3D and become an expert stacker and packer- not to mention a head full of memorised 6 figure codes that won't go away (636536- 10 pack of Tate and Lyle 1kg sugar). More recently my wife had a market stall and doing the country/summer show ciscuit, and muggins here was the van packer/unpacker. My previous skills took off to a whole new level... which is great as I'm half way through moving 3 households in my VW van and two of us are over a hundred miles from home, and the old skills came in bloody handy again...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very easy. I pushed seat back and undid two allen bolts- one each side, then pushed chair forwars and did the same at the back, then tipped seat back towards the rear and disconnected the wiring connectors. No I didn;t disconnect the battery and never have in the past and not once has an airbag gone off.......:disappointed:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts