Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still Umming and Arring about whether to bite the bullet and buy myself a 147 to replace my Beloved Fiat Bravo. I know the Alfa is gorgeous, more refined, has more toys and is infinitely more modern and proffesional looking, but I've put a lot of effort getting the Bravo just how I like it, and I'm a little scared that I'll look at the Alfa and wish I'd kept the Bravo (Unlikely probably!) Every time I wash the Bravo I love it again!

Essentially all I've really done (apart from fit Alfa 147 Handles!) to the Bravo is lower it a tad onto 17's and that's precisely all I'd be doing to the 147.

So to Help me to decide, and to put my mind at ease about upgrading to an Alfa, can anyone post pics of their lowered 147's? Preferably in a dark colour, lowered onto Supersports?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Ben, here is my 147 lowered onto supersports, upgrade your dampers and its absolutely fine and enjoyable and handles superbly.

Enjoy - im posting a new set of pics of my 147 today along with my partners 147, so side by side you can see the difference, its amazing.

Does this help any?

Attachments

R

·
0 Posts
paulmacs said:
Ben, here is my 147 lowered onto supersports.
Does this help any?
I was going to say "it's not too likely that someone will have the exact combination you want of being lowered and on supersports".....then lo and behold. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
robf781 said:
I was going to say "it's not too likely that someone will have the exact combination you want of being lowered and on supersports".....then lo and behold. :lol:

Ahh, but it isn't a dark coloured car so not all his wishes came true! ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Probusterrace said:
Ahh, but it isn't a dark coloured car so not all his wishes came true! ;)
Oh well, you can't have everything. Unless your name is mr B Gates I suppose.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ben B i only got my 147 about 10 weeks ago, it has 17" supersports on it but it hasn't being lowered and i don't think i will.
Before my 147 i had a fiat bravo for 2 years and like you i loved it, i thought i'd miss it but i have not as i love my 147 more.
You should make the change, you won't be sorry, just make sure it's got a full service history.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Dark color: yes
Lowered: yes
Supersports: no

·
Registered
122 Posts
mmmm love the lowered 147, still can't quite fathom why they were so high from the factory. If my service comes in any less than 1500 quid it's my next mod. Has anyone seen any pics of a lowered 147 on TI alloys?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
paulmacs said:
upgrade your dampers and its absolutely fine and enjoyable and handles superbly.
Cheers guys, certainly improves the stance greatly :cool:
When you say upgrade you dampers, what do you mean? How much is a set of upgraded ones? Made for lowered springs? Or do you mean full-on coilovers?
Is it not worth going the cheap lowering springs route? That's all I did on the Bravo, but then again the girlfriend finds it too harsh, so it's worth me spending a tad more this time just to save on earache!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ben B said:
Cheers guys, certainly improves the stance greatly :cool:
When you say upgrade you dampers, what do you mean? How much is a set of upgraded ones? Made for lowered springs? Or do you mean full-on coilovers?
Is it not worth going the cheap lowering springs route? That's all I did on the Bravo, but then again the girlfriend finds it too harsh, so it's worth me spending a tad more this time just to save on earache!
The dampers on the standard car are made for the standard reach suspension. When you use springs that lower the car, these dampers will be right on the limit of their travel, possibly hitting the bump stops in certain circumstances. This will give very bad damping and a harsh crashy ride. It is also likely that the original dampers will be past their best and offer little damping at all. It all adds up to a rough ride and bad handling. If you get new dampers that are made for the shorter springs, (depending on the type) the ride will be smooth and comfortable again, but with the benefit of better balance offered by the lower C of G. In short its well worth spending the money on the upgraded dampers and get them done at the same time as the springs.

I tried springs only on my old golf. It was ok, but a very harsh ride. The dampers lasted about 3 months before the internals were smashed to bits. The new dampers made the ride absolutely amazing and justified the money i spent on the springs etc..

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ Paulmacs, Did you get those pictures uploaded of the comparison of lowered and non-lowered 147's? I'd be interested to see how much it changes the initial look.

May have just found my 147, Looking at it today, will keep you posted! a 2.0 Selespeed, with Leather, Bose & Supersports! The perfect 147!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hopefully buying my 2.0 selespeed tomorrow as long as it's not a dog!

It's a Y plate 01, but with only 35K, black with 17" supersports, tan leather, BOSE sounds, and the guy's leaving his motorised DVD headunit in it (That I'll probably put straight on ebay, possibly a little too boy-racer for me!) The guy's asking £4995. Sounds fair enough? May not have had a cambelt done though, if it hasn't I'll book it in first thing I do!

Lowering it will be one of the first things on the agenda- Can someone point me towards a site selling springs & shocks together? How much am I looking to spend? Coilover's seem to cost £500+, I'd like to spend more like £300, but don't want the ride to suffer as badly as my current car!
Do I need to do any arch rolling?

@ Paulmacs- do you get much arch rubbing? Do your supersports have the satndard 45 profile tyres? Also, Was your Angel Tuning worth it? How much was it and has it made a big difference?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Don't Koni do non-adjustable springs and dampers set for around £300?

I'm going to do mine this year but I'm going to go for Koni FSD with Eibach springs, hopefully take it 30mm(ish) lower. Been looking at www.europerformance.co.uk for these bits.

Gotcha, what level tint did you go for on the back half? That looks really good, might do the same to mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts