Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my wits end. Today I approached SAC to ask about a Unichip Q4 for my GTV Phase 3. After checking their computer they affirmed that a flag qas raised that they could only provide full load mapping due to ecu limitations. Apparently the Pahse 3 has the ecu which overrides all sensor inputs that a chip or remap might add below 75% throttle input. This means it runs exclusively on measured lamba inputs or will run on calculated results if the system strays from expected returns outside normal parameters.

My question is which other cars share the same ecu as the Phase 3 GTV 3.2?
How are they mapped or chipped?
Should I reconsider asking SAC for help?
I really don't want to fit gotech or the like but would like to optimise my engine beyond the current ecu capabilities.

How do I go about this? :depressed:

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Sac = eish

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Ok, you're in CPT...surely there must be someone else other than SAC? My GTV ran a Unichip and it was BOSS all the way from 1000 to 7300rpm. MRD did the tuning.

I am very sure with some searching you can find someone in CPT who can do this other than SAC.

Ah, ok, I only read after I typed you have the phase 3. Ask Hennie he turbo'd his phase 3 and that car ran well on Unichip I think.

Reactions: El 4 Romeo

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know SAC = Eish. But they had a special where Uni-Q4 was going for R3100. And I am also aware that there is a certain range of ECU's fitted to Alfas that don't like chips and revert to calculated values when interfered with. My Punto back in 2005 had the same type of ECU function but it was a Hitachi ecu IIRC.

Which other car shares the ECU with the 3.2 GTV? Is it the GTA?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Yes I know SAC = Eish. But they had a special where Uni-Q4 was going for R3100. And I am also aware that there is a certain range of ECU's fitted to Alfas that don't like chips and revert to calculated values when interfered with. My Punto back in 2005 had the same type of ECU function but it was a Hitachi ecu IIRC.

Which other car shares the ECU with the 3.2 GTV? Is it the GTA?
I think you should speak to Dawie.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our 3.5 Litre V6 in our 166 had a chip by Dastec in it. Steve Green at RG Motorsport tuned it for us. The chip cost about R4000 a couple of years ago. However RGM is in Jo'burg...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ian according to mutliecuscan it the GTV 3.2, GT 3.2, 166 3.2 and 147 GTA 3.2 that use the same ECU. The 156GTA does but only in Europe.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hennie runs go-tech for his extra injectors.
Yes Hennie run extra injectors on a Gotech for boost. But without the extra injectors, the std system kept up surprisingly well. I guess it will come very close to 300 whp without additional fuel. Yes the s3 ECU kept on trying to lean the very rich mixture out. I was under the impression that unlike the s1 and s2, the s3 ECU do not go to a map on full throttle, it remain a closed loop system (it always control by the lambda). Even if it goes to a map the Unichip also only work at open throttle, but that is the only time you need it. when cruzing you need economy. Hennie studied the s3 unit, if he chime in we will be certain about the detail.

But all the ECUs aim for 14.7:1 A/F ratio on a light throttle and around 13:1 on full throttle. This is not good enough for cooling the combustion chamber on a turbo engine with 400 whp. We need 11:1 or 10.5:1 A/F ratio.

On a NA engine you can possibly get away on a leaner mixture, as without a turbo, some problem will not suddenly introduce a lot more air to melt the internals. but a richer mixture will still cool the combustion chamber and possibly let the head gasket last longer. A s2 ECU may solve the engine problem, but will not integrate with the body computer and introduce other problems, so I do not think it is a viable option. IF you really need more fuel and I don't think so, you can also use the TN principle of running an extra injector driven by a Gotech or Dictator. But you need the simplest unit as you will only use a 3rd or less of its capasity.

On the side, this is in my opinion the bigest problem for the latest chip-tune craze as well. All chips and software still use factory mechanisms, but only stretch the limits. They really live in the factory safety zone.

SAC means nothing as a brand name, it is a francize, it is only as good as the operator/owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts