Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... How traffic lights where Motorway slip roads meet the main carriageway work :confused:

They put some up on the M32 a few months ago but still haven't switched them on and I just can't see how they will work.

I've noticed them on slip roads onto the M42 so wondered if anyone on here could tell me what they are supposed to achieve, or, as I suspect, are they another waste of taxpayers' money :confused:

N

·
0 Posts
In the US they use them to control the flow
of traffic onto a congested motorway during
rushhours.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Some on the M6 too.

I noticed them on my way to Wales a couple of weeks ago.

Can't remember them being there last year.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
They are a means of limiting traffic flow on to the motroway, and have to be obeyed ONLY when they are working.

(Trust a woman to ask that sort of question...
What are traffic lights for ? I ask ya ... :D )

S

·
0 Posts
There's some on the M8 in Glasgow.

I think their purpose is to turn a tailback on one road into a tailback on another - or even on both roads at once. :rant:

And very successful they are too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are a means of limiting traffic flow on to the motroway, and have to be obeyed ONLY when they are working.

(Trust a woman to ask that sort of question...
What are traffic lights for ? I ask ya ... :D )
:rolleyes: I know what traffic lights are for :rolleyes:
:lol:

No, what I can't understand is how it will improve traffic flow.

At certain times, the traffic on the M32 is constant and travelling at about 50-60mph. As far as I can tell, the traffic merges virtually one on one, so everyone gets to join the motorway at a reasonable speed. If you bunch up traffic with the use of lights, then expect them to join flowing traffic from a standing start, how in the hell does that help things????

I was hoping someone on here had experience of them and could explain what actually happens.

:)

J

·
0 Posts
:rolleyes: I know what traffic lights are for :rolleyes:
:lol:

No, what I can't understand is how it will improve traffic flow.

At certain times, the traffic on the M32 is constant and travelling at about 50-60mph. As far as I can tell, the traffic merges virtually one on one, so everyone gets to join the motorway at a reasonable speed. If you bunch up traffic with the use of lights, then expect them to join flowing traffic from a standing start, how in the hell does that help things????

I was hoping someone on here had experience of them and could explain what actually happens.

:)
it doesn't help traffic flow at all, it seems to make matters worse....

my theory is someone got a good deal on a bulk purchase of traffic lights, they have run out of roundabouts to shove them on and now they have decided to start on slip roads......

H

·
0 Posts
I've been through the ones on the M6 :D

You get a pretty good run at the motorway to get speed up but mostly they get used on the most congested parts of the M6 at rush hour and they're just used to limit tha amount of traffic getting on at rush hour times :D

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Probably to control traffic across the junction. That way, in peak times you have controlled dispersal of exiting traffic and dont get a tailback going onto the main carriageways.....

or summit like that.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks All :)

I'm still waiting to see what happens on the M32 - they've been there a few months now and not switched on yet. I reckon Jay_W's theory may be correct!

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
There's quite a few for the M60 too, plus the link road between the M56 and M60 heading anti-clockwise!

·
Registered
45 Posts
There's some on the M8 in Glasgow.

I think their purpose is to turn a tailback on one road into a tailback on another - or even on both roads at once. :rant:

And very successful they are too. :rolleyes:
+1

Nightmare! :rant: Whoever thought them up wants locking up!:rant:
I travel the J11 - J6 stretch of the M6 frequently, joining the motorway at various junctions. They switch between stop and go extremely quickly too. You might just get one, possibly two cars through on each change. HGVs just don't bother to stop because they would never get going again before the red light shows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts