Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear washer jet hasn't worked for about two weeks now, I initially thought it was frozen as the front ones wouldn't work either but even now the snow has thawed and the temperatures have increased a bit only the front jets work.
What I'd like someone to check is whether when you operate the rear washer jet (pushing forward on the right stalk) a small squirt of water comes out of the front jets aswell?
I assume it's not normal operation and suggests a blockage (which is something that happened on my old Ibiza, requiring me to replace the rear washer jet and the pipes in the boot lid) but I don't know for sure as I'd never looked at this when it was all working fine.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I get the small frontal squirt all the time when using the rear. Not sure why. (and my rear ones work fine)

My missus thinks that the car has 'had an accident'

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. If it could be normal for the front ones to squirt too maybe something has popped out from the pressure build up while I was trying them when they actually were frozen (again something my old car did).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Only the rear on mine, and i am not sure how the pipes run to the rear. Are you getting any drips in the car, [i don't mean passengers!];)

·
Administrator
46,865 Posts
First thing I would do is squirt some with the bootlid open, and look for drips. The most usual cause of it stopping working is the tube coming off, so it's piddling water into your boot.

·
Administrator
88,162 Posts
First thing I would do is squirt some with the bootlid open, and look for drips. The most usual cause of it stopping working is the tube coming off, so it's piddling water into your boot.
Yep, common issue on the 147.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First thing I would do is squirt some with the bootlid open, and look for drips.
I did have a look but it was raining at the time so I couldn't tell, I'll have another go with a second set of eyes to see it as it happens. Though it does look like it's all sealed in, there's a thick black rubber cover going from inside the body of the car to the inside of the top of the bootlid (where the washer jet is).

·
Registered
336 Posts
mine doesn't squirt on the rear at all, it just sort of dribbles down the window. not very good for clearing the window tbh.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't say I've had any problems with it myself (apart from it now not working..), the wiper clears the screen fine.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've sussed what's wrong with mine, activating the rear washer jet causes a huge stream of water to come out of the drainage pipe in the engine bay on the passenger side of the car. Which was recently worked on at my dealer to avoid the alternator belt problem happening again...
Going to give them a ring next week.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The problem with my rear one is I send the water to the back, nothing happens and then it won't come out of the front. Hugely annoying when your driving. Any ideas?

S

·
0 Posts
My rear wash has not worked since i picked my Mito up from Western Perth (Jan 5th) where it was in for the Alternator belt etc. They have swapped over the drain pipes. As it was so cold i just presumed the water had frozen in the pipe as the car had not been used for nearly 2 weeks. Maybe being frozen has popped a pipe of somewhere, but not at the tank as it is full or they have done something when swapping the drains. Yeh and it does give a little squirt out the front washers.
Might have a look at fixing it myself, not driving a 180 miles round trip just to get that fixed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My rear washer jet hasn't worked for about two weeks now, I initially thought it was frozen as the front ones wouldn't work either but even now the snow has thawed and the temperatures have increased a bit only the front jets work.
What I'd like someone to check is whether when you operate the rear washer jet (pushing forward on the right stalk) a small squirt of water comes out of the front jets aswell?
I assume it's not normal operation and suggests a blockage (which is something that happened on my old Ibiza, requiring me to replace the rear washer jet and the pipes in the boot lid) but I don't know for sure as I'd never looked at this when it was all working fine.
I have had the same issue from when it was snowing. I thought it was just the weather but now it is above freezing, the rear washer still doesn't work (it did before christmas). When I press the button I hear the noise but no liquid comes out of the back window washer, but Ican smell the anti-freeze. Must be somewhere in the roof or around the doors. A mechanic friend says this can happen especially when its cold, the pipe pops off. Just needs to be reconected by delaer, however he recommended to wait until the big freeze is over so they dont blame it on wear&tear fro mthe cold (thus not a warranty repair)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts