Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per thread title. Having a few problems which I think are from lack of boost pressure and I want to check for leaks etc but I am a complete novice and looking at the engine, I don't even know where the turbo is/looks like so really don't know where to check. I just had a fiddle with the big black pipe that the maf is fitted too and it feels a bit loose but I can't see where but it seems to be loose below where I can see if that makes sense. It's not hanging off by any means but it defiantly has movement. The problem is it seems to loose boost too easy and when I'm driving it hard and changing gear, it looses boost too quickly and lunges forward until the boost builds up again and then pulls again. I am also going to check the egr today and clean the map sensor again. Thanks.
Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
896 Posts
When you clean the map or correct name tmap temperature manifold air pressure . look inside the black plastic basket your see a brass coloured sensor there is a hole make sure that's clear too. Hu û
As for pipes there is basically two sides to the turbo thin vacuum rubber tubes that actuate the turbo /operate vanes in the variable vane turbo/ and the bigger tubes that the air goes through/ you can get leaks in any of these . check all joints some folk have replaced the **** clamps with jubilee clips.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. Hopefully will be much better later. I have the restricting gasket to fit to egr also.so fingers crossed it's one of these. Is the hole you mention in the tmap sensor actually on the brass sensor?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Hopefully will be much better later. I have the restricting gasket to fit to egr also.so fingers crossed it's one of these. Is the hole you mention in the tmap sensor actually on the brass sensor?
No I bbelieve its in the basket . check out other post on here be gently when cleaning it I used a thinners in a old plastic hand spray /cif or windolene / don't,t poke it . the spray cleaned it up well you might even need a magnifying glass to see the hole.
Some people do temp blank on the egr with coke can cut flat/ this will put you eml light on/ its temp to see if egr is the problem plenty on post on here about blanking the egr,

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I think the map sensor was fine but I cleaned it as best as I could. The egr valve was is excellent condition but it was replaced 9 months ago. The inlet manifold was quite coked up but not as bad as I thought it would be. I have fitted the egr restriction plate and all went well but it doesn't feel any different at all. Does it take a while to notice the difference in the egr valve?
I don't even know where the turbo is so don't know which pipes to check but I am starting to think there is definitely a problem with the turbo its self. I have the maf to take off and clean but I think it's just losing pressure somewhere. I have noticed a very strange noise when taking good foot of peddle and the car slows down, I can really explain it, it sounds like a very fast spinning fan catching on something is how I would describe it. I wondering if that is the turbo but I can't repeat the noise intentionally. Below is a picture of engine bay, where is the turbo and where should I check the pipes?

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right. I have cleaned the boost control solenoid as well as tmap and egr and it's running a lot smoother but still have a lack of boost when changing gears after hard accelerating. Only really 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I checked the small pipes from the boost control solenoid and they had no leaks and were fitted fine but unsure which other pipes to check. I have done a bit of reading on the forum and think the noise could be the turbo "chopping" the air so I may need to get the turbo checked over but I would like to check the other turbo pipes to see if anything else is blocked or broken or not fitted correctly. I will update if I find anything else. Getting time to check is the hard thing with a 1 year old boy!
I also want to check and clean the maf but I couldn't get the clip off today.

·
Registered
896 Posts
As you have probably found by now the turbo is down the front of the engine its hard to see from the top of engine easier from underneath with the under guard off. Out of interest hoiw did u clean the boast control solinoid want to clean mine.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's certainly driving and starting better. I'm wondering if restricting the egr takes a few miles to notice a difference with the ecu having to relearn or if it was the tmap sensor or the boost solenoid but I seem to have more power low at low revs and mpg seems better for city driving. I need to keep a listen out for this chopping air noise still but I haven't heard it since I did all of this at weekend. Fingers crossed its cured.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, it's certainly driving and starting better. I'm wondering if restricting the egr takes a few miles to notice a difference with the ecu having to relearn or if it was the tmap sensor or the boost solenoid but I seem to have more power low at low revs and mpg seems better for city driving. I need to keep a listen out for this chopping air noise still but I haven't heard it since I did all of this at weekend. Fingers crossed its cured.....
Did this solve that chopping noise? Just curious...

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
EGR should be immediate, did you disconnect the battery at the same time?
A stick with some tissue paper stuck on it can help find some boost leaks (check all the all the pipes), was the filter in the boost solenoid very dirty?), you may have just solved a leak somewhere disconnecting it!

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did eventually, it was the air con which needed regassing!
Never imagined that's what it might be!

I get a chopping noise when I clutch in to change gears after accelerating (maybe a bit different to what you had).
It sounds like something spinning down, catching the sides or something... Its hard to describe :irked:
Anyway, thanks for the info

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine sounded like that also. I'd check to see if it makes the noise with the air on turned off, if I remember rightly, it somehow works off the clutch or something similar. Mine made the same type of noise at the same times you describe with changing gear or releasing the clutch, only with aircon turned on. As soon as I turned it off, noise went away!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts