Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks.

I recently had my ecu remapped (alfa 147 1.9 jtd)

Since the remap I've noticed that cranking is becoming slower... like the battery is getting low....

its a new battery and glow plugs have been recently changed.

its more noticeable in the morning. But I don't usually use the car once I get home. Get home at 1500... go to work at 0530.

I saw on another thread that a remap can affect the sleep mode or something...

could someone explain the ins and outs please.

Also what can be done to prove and rectify the issue.

Thanks in advance
Dan

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Not that I am aware off. Could check to see if anything is draining the battery now.

If parts have been changed other electrical items might have been moved and might be earthing. Who know's. You'd have to check.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depending on what is done to the ECU, remap can (shouldn't but some people manage to mess it up) stop it going into sleep mode and that will then drain the battery fairly quickly.
also battery was replaced in winter... The cold killed the old one. Alternator is fine as i popped the multimeter on it this morning

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Remap required uploading/downloading ECU program.
It normally needs from half hour to two hours time than car is switched on.
Mappers normally put a charger to maintain battery for this period since it would be not good if ECU loading interrupts because of battery. So, can remap drain battery ? Yes... Not can only, it actually do especially mapper leaves car switched lights, radio, airco on for this period.
Battery is to be charged again. Remap makes no affection to sleep mode.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Slow cranking is often a poor earth. With no key in the ignition connect a multimeter across the battery terminals, check the voltage, should be 12 ish volts. Leave the lead connected to the +ve battery terminal and move the other to the engine block, check you're seeing the same voltage, anything less indicates a bad earth strap.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I've checked the voltage but all seems fine, battery appears to be dying when cranking still though. .. although every now and then it will find a lease of life.... so bad earth I think makes sense.

where are they located, gearbox?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure the new battery is of the correct capacity and has high enough cold cranking amps?
Well i bought it from Halfords in winter when the cold killed my old battery.
its supposedly the one for it, but potentially could be wrong, although it's been fine up until now...

Should I check cranking amps???
If so... could someone just run be by the procedure quick...

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Well i bought it from Halfords in winter when the cold killed my old battery.
its supposedly the one for it, but potentially could be wrong, although it's been fine up until now...

Should I check cranking amps???
If so... could someone just run be by the procedure quick...
My diesel GT battery has a 56Ah capacity and 480A CCA. Your 147 should be similar and the figures should be on the top of the battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts