Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting conflicting advice even from the DVLA about this.

I have a V317 form which I need to fill in to specify whether I want to retain my plate or transfer it. Is it possible to fill this form in, sell the car, put the new owners details on the form and have the new V5 go to the new owners address and my plate details sent to me?

Otherwise it seems I have to fill in these forms, wait up to 5 weeks to get a new V5 and then sell the car. :confused:

Even going down to my local office apparently won't resolve things; that just saves a day or two's postage time...

Any advice and info appreciated!

Markos

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
In a word no - you need to transfer the plate off and have all the documentation back otherwise you run the (significant) risk that you lose the plate.

If you have a friendly dealer and it's a PX they may occasionally do this for you but one of my last ones took 8 weeks in during which time they couldn't sell my car.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Unless things have changed significantly in the last 3 Years, I have transferred my plate over 5 times now at my local DVLA office. I've taken all my old documents ( MOT, V5 Reg Documentaion and Insurance Cert ) along with my new documentaion, filled them all in properly, and come away with a temporary slip to cover me, and then waited for the new owners V5 document to come in the post, a couple of weeks later, but I've ALWAYS been able to transfer the plate the same day. My previous Car then got a new number plate reg from the DVLA..........:)

Hope that helps !!!!.......:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers k3lvc

I checked on pistonheads and have come to the same conclusion :(

I have all the docs with me today so will fill them out, copy them, then post them off Special Delivery this afternoon. Might include a begging letter asking if they can pull their fingers out sort it ASAP...:thumbs:

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
BTW.....

Forgot to mention, I have always put my Cars into the Dealership ( Alfa Romeo ) with a P/ Ex deal, so the Car then belonged to them, not sure if that makes any difference though !!!......:confused:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
BTW.....

Forgot to mention, I have always put my Cars into the Dealership ( Alfa Romeo ) with a P/ Ex deal, so the Car then belonged to them, not sure if that makes any difference though !!!......:confused:
It does because there's an element of trust there - if you sell your car to J Bloggs they also take possession of the plate and as soon as they have a V5 (my current one came through in 3 days) they can sell the plate.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Unless things have changed significantly in the last 3 Years, I have transferred my plate over 5 times now at my local DVLA office. I've taken all my old documents ( MOT, V5 Reg Documentation and Insurance Cert ) along with my new documentation, filled them all in properly, and come away with a temporary slip to cover me, and then waited for the new owners V5 document to come in the post, a couple of weeks later, but I've ALWAYS been able to transfer the plate the same day. My previous Car then got a new number plate reg from the DVLA..........:)

Hope that helps !!!!.......:thumbs:
I did this about 18 months ago myself with stepson. :thumbs: I thought they put the original registration back though?

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
That probably explains why I got the swop over so easy then, makes a lot of sense in fact. I could have the same problem as Markos next time I sell my Car though, as my Alfa Dealer went into liquidation back in March last Year !!!!........:eek:

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
That probably explains why I got the swap over so easy then, makes a lot of sense in fact. I could have the same problem as Markos next time I sell my Car though, as my Alfa Dealer went into liquidation back in March last Year !!!!........:eek:
It should be logged with the DVLA anyway? I think for a new car with a private plate, they just assign a new registration anyway when it changes hands to the second owner?

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
It does because there's an element of trust there - if you sell your car to J Bloggs they also take possession of the plate and as soon as they have a V5 (my current one came through in 3 days) they can sell the plate.
Not if they don't have the certificate and paperwork relating to the registration. I have that upstairs, as I own my stepson registration. His name is Alex, and it starts with ALZ. I was given it as someone owed me money.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I did this about 18 months ago myself with stepson. :thumbs: I thought they put the original registration back though?
My Cars were bought new by me, and the 1st registration on them was my private plate. So when I sold the Cars, the DVLA then issued a relevant plate to the car of the same year of registration that I originally bought it new, in my case the last 147 was a 2003 model, and the Dealer got an 03 reg to put on it.........:)

Hope that makes sense ........:)

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
My Cars were bought new by me, and the 1st registration on them was my private plate. So when I sold the Cars, the DVLA then issued a relevant plate to the car of the same year of registration that I originally bought it new, in my case the last 147 was a 2003 model, and the Dealer got an 03 reg to put on it.........:)

Hope that makes sense ........:)
I think that is what I was trying to say, just badly! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts