Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
As many will know my Giulietta has been problematic from day one!
On Saturday I rang up a dealer about a car I saw on Autotrader but couldn't get to see it until today so they asked for a £250 deposit to secure the car for my perusal therefore taking it off sale.
I viewed it today but it just wasn't for me!
Is the dealer obliged to refund my deposit as on seeing the car I have decided not to buy it?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course they should if it was a "holding deposit" .
Yes that's all it was, a deposit subject to viewing and in fact the spec said it had a DAB radio and when I got there I'd didn't have, nor did it have a spare tyre!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
if the vehicle was not up to the description in the ad it should be straight forward to get deposit back.

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
He's going to say that someone came in to buy it on Sunday. He lost a sale, and therefore he's keeping the the deposit. Is this sort of thing normal because I'd have told him where to stick that arrangement straight off.

Had someone come in on Sunday wanting to buy it, he'd have sold it to them and blamed his incompetent assistant when you turned up and it was gone.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Had that done to me with a nearly new XR2. Got my £100 back, obviously.

TBH, I'd not leave a deposit just to look at a car in a couple of days. if it's sold there are plenty more fish in the sea.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have done it on 2 occasions. Both were awkward to get back but I got them both back - the chain "forgot" and is best done while you're there although for us we were late on and the salesman said he didn't know how to do it and they'd do it in the morning. After a call a few days later it got done and a receipt e-mailed same day. 2nd one was a place called Prestige Cars in Newton-le-Willows where I'd seen the car briefly late one night and the deposit was so my wife could check it over first. They suggested they understood the wife would want it looking good but then didn't do a thing to it in between times (they have their own workshop but didn't fix any of the broken bits I'd pointed out or attempt to tidy up the paint or replace the illegal looking tyres). When we saw that and then (in daylight) saw more paint issues we walked away. The response from the salesman was "what do you expect in a second hand car". I was tempted to say "not a piece of scrap"... or piece of mutton dressed up as lamb... Anyway, that one took numerous calls and e-mails so far that I'd contacted VISA on a chargeback. Would only do now on things like the movement from distant locations if I saw the car I wanted at Arnold Clark n the like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts