Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello just wondering if I could get a new key for my car as I only have 1 key,
My car is alfa 156 1.6ts febuary 2003 it a flip up black key, It if so how much would it cost?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Be sitting when you phone the dealers for a price, I paid £190 including coding for a red key a few years back

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
You don't just have to buy the key, you need to get the code from a dealer, and then get it coded to the car....last one I got cost me over £200......

Look after your key - and maybe contact the previous owner to see if they can find the spare:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 1.6ts 156 on a 2001. I too had only 1 key ( the remote key )

I went to one of those Sunday market things and a guy there cut and coded me a key for £70.

However, it does not arm the alarm, which is not a major worry. The key opens and closes all the doors off the lock, starts the car and immobilizes the car too. He cut the key, and had to go back to the car twice to make sure it was coded properly. If i arm the alarm with the remote key ( my key ) my wife can open the car via the lock with her key and the alarm will go off until she puts the key in to the ignition to disarm it.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Ferrys ain't cheap :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Think yourself lucky you have 1 key, i have just lost my only key for my Alfa 156 2002 model, I thought the same as you when i bought a car with one key, that i would buy a second key, when i saw the price of a new key i said no way! my key was also a black 2 button flip up key. so far the best price for 1 key and car ECU recoded £360, so please do buy a second key before you lose the only key you have.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Think yourself lucky you have 1 key, i have just lost my only key for my Alfa 156 2002 model, I thought the same as you when i bought a car with one key, that i would buy a second key, when i saw the price of a new key i said no way! my key was also a black 2 button flip up key. so far the best price for 1 key and car ECU recoded £360, so please do buy a second key before you lose the only key you have.

Give us a call,it may be cheaper:)

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
When I bought a new key it was around a fifth of the price I paid for the car - the financial outlay was shadowed by the convenience of having a fully functioning remote key plus the original I kept as a spare :thumbs: - too many times I've read about losses of a 'single' key, I'm pleased I got a new one, even though it seems the stealers bend you over a barrel.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hopefully a quick question - I'm not clear on the codes and stuff -

I have fiatecuscan, and the OBD cable.. I phoned up Alfa, paid £42 for my 'code card' which they told me I needed, to be able to do reprogramme my key from fiatecuscan. Everything worked, up until the stage of putting in the 'code card' which told me it was wrong a number of times. A member on here has since suggested that I need the alarm code, and not the code card for what I'm attempting. Discuss?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Don't think FES is capable of key coding...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It's confusing for an idiot like me - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/248349-coding-alfa-147-remote-keys-myself-using-alfadiag-fiatecuscan.html#post3745477

I have the 'code card'.

My key operates the central locking (by physically using the key in the lock), but nothing works off the remote..

So... the immobiliser aspect of it is working ok no? Does it not just need re-pairing with the body computer with fiatecuscan? I wish I had a spare key and then I could just get this sent off to chris.

I tihnk I'm back to squaare one. The fact that the code card doesn't work! My body computer must have been swapped for some reason? Or could Alfa just get it wrong?!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Sounds like the remote electronics part of the key is broken - does the red light come on? Failed microswitches are very common.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
i can confirm they do work though as i had a new key for my GTV coded there ;)

GTV cloning is type one and very simple, most high-street key makers can do this.
This company implies they can clone all Alfa keys, which is just not going to be true. Although if they have the correct equipment they can do a few different types, it is very expensive for the later types of key and it remains to be seen if they really have it. Be careful to ask them first before driving there and don't forget to report back to the forum what happens.

Oh, and they have pinched my company picture of the three musketeers keys :tut:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
...Oh, and they have pinched my company picture of the three musketeers keys :tut:

Just noticed that - cheeky buggas!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts