Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I just realised I could potentially flash the ecu from the parts car with a tune for more power (nothing crazy 140-145hp ish just cause why not, I don't plan on launching or drag racing it, and the extra hp would sure be nice for overtakes and such), and keep my good alfa's stock ecu stock, I can drop in for inspections, selling or for whatever other reason.

The main question though, is can I use that ecu with my engine at all? The parts car has a 937A2.000 motor with 85kw/115hp, my good daily has the 88kw/120hp 937A3.000 motor. Now afaik the main difference are the intake air swirl flaps or however you call them, the ones that ruin your engine.

They are also something I would like to delete on my good alfa, as from what I have heard they are a lot more harm than good, but that's a whole other project.

• So is it possible to flash the a2.000 ecu to use with my a3.000 engine at all? The power flash should be easy enough after that. I can't imagine it would work straight up due to the flaps and little, yet still exsitant difference of 5hp.
I might add it is very possible the parts car ecu is already power flashed due to the blown up differential (made a hole in the gearbox :D) and straight pipe exhaust that was present on the car, indicating some aggressive driving.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
8v don't have swirl flaps, with only a single inlet port per cylinder, there's no possibility of swirling anything.

If you want more power, a remap or chip is a better idea.

·
Registered
JTD 8v Stage1+
315 Posts
No, 8v 115ps is EDC15C7 512 Kb and 1 MB, 8v 120ps is EDC16C39 2 MB. All is different.
Buy other ecu like your original to play or remap your without fear, EDC15C7 are strong and can be recovered by bootmode "always", mine has over 300 flashes and no issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, 8v 115ps is EDC15C7 512 Kb and 1 MB, 8v 120ps is EDC16C39 2 MB. All is different.
Buy other ecu like your original to play or remap your without fear, EDC15C7 are strong and can be recovered by bootmode "always", mine has over 300 flashes and no issues.
Ah gotcha, thanks! It's whatever honestly, just would've been cool.
Might do like you said and grab another ecu as I've seen 159 ecu's for really cheap (like 15 euros), or I'll just flash the stock one and be done with it.
You have mentioned the EDC15C7 is strong, but that's what's on the parts car, the good alfa is 120ps and has the EDC16C39 from what I understand, any insight on them?

·
Registered
JTD 8v Stage1+
315 Posts
It's ecu model. I mean in case you lock ecu, EDC15C7 is easy to recover. EDC16C39 need other methods and special utils to unlock if blocked.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8v don't have swirl flaps, with only a single inlet port per cylinder, there's no possibility of swirling anything.

If you want more power, a remap or chip is a better idea.
The only reason I would delete the flaps is to remove the risk of ruining the engine, not for power :D Must have misread then, as I was sure I saw people say they delete the swirl flaps from the newer 8v, nonetheless it's even better if they aren't there to start with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts