Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, am thinking of buying a 159 Sportswagon, 2.2 Lusso, late 56/early 57 plate with about 20000 on the clock for the money I have to spend. I'm expecting to do 25000 miles a year and am toying between the character, charm and driving thrill of the Alfa, the "everyone and his dog" 3 series or the reliable but not particularly exciting Mondeo. I've owned BM's and Mondeo's before and am comfortable with their reliability and cost for service etc but am totally in the dark on Alfa's - in particular 159. I seem to be reading a mixed bag of reports. Is their anyone out there that can give me an insight into what to really expect. Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just go for it, You have had the rest. Try something different. I was in the same boat last year as you and I plumped for a 159 TI. Amazing, the looks I got that 1st day I drove it off the forecourt will stay with me for a long time.

Dont be a sheep and follow, come and be part of the the Alfa gang.

Hey the car aint bad either

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
You will read a mixed bag of reports because even we, the alfisti, it seems get taken in by the negative press:rolleyes: .

Apart from the use of the wrong steering fluid in my car it has been solid as a rock over nearly 22,000 miles, comfortable and fast. Everyone loves its looks and everyone that's been in it comments how comfortable and classy it is.

Choose your car with care, make sure it has a full history and a warranty (they are expensive to repair if they do go wrong) and that you can put up with the fuel consumption, and I doubt if you will be disappointed. The 159 is a great car that suffers from the bad press the 156 had.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Budget for about 25mpg on average from the 2.2. Might get a bit more if you're lucky but don't bank on it. Hate to say it but at 25k a year surely the 2.4 is worth thinking about.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
the 159 is a big improvement on the 156 in terms of quality and fit and finish. Choose your engine carefully - this is the main bone of contention you will see on this site.

Petrol vs Diesel - try and drive both and then decide. I have had both the 1.9 and 2.4 diesel and both are good in different ways. I'd go for the 2.4 if you can afford the running costs over the 1.9 but the 1.9 is adequate. I can't comment on the petrol.

Mine has had (the usual) windscreen creek problem now fixed but little else. For the money there is no other car in the class to match the 159 in terms of quality and equipment and driving pleaseure :)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Interesting point of note on the two JTDm's. Early 2.4s suffered a few problems with inlet manifolds, EGR valves and the particulate filter (although my 07 has been fine). I understand that these are mainly sorted and if you got a '57 plate car it should be OK. BUT, I have simply not heard of similar problems with the 1.9, which suggests it is possibly a more reliable unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all - this is a great help. I bet no other car forum at this level talks with so much enthusiasm about the products. I was following one home last night - in white - never considered white before but it did look good, actually, stunning is a better word. For reasons best left off forums, petrol rightly or wrongly is the way i need to go. So, roll on 2.2, time to take the plunge. After all, any serious issues, sounds like i've found the place for advise you can rely on. Cheers:)

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
For reasons best left off forums, petrol rightly or wrongly is the way i need to go.
Intrigued now..................:confused: :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A guy i work with claims he runs his Shogun on vegetable oil but unfortunately i have neither a veggie patch or oil refinery in my back yard. Perhaps I'm a closet petrol sniffer and diesel just don't smell the same - come to think of it, neither does unleaded. I don't have a company fuel card either but occasionally use my wife's car for work as mine is a dump hence i am duly allowed to put juice in both as i travel a lot - if i buy my alfa, i'll not have the excuse of using her car and if i switch to diesel, all hell breaks lose.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Joe - No Brainer...the most beautiful saloon on the planet verses dull & ordinary.....hmmm I think you know the answer already...enjoy the exclusivity :fumup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm done considering - onto the looking part now then get the finance lined up. This site has helped alot. Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a 159 sportswagon ti 2.4 JTDM as a courtesy car at the moment whilst my Brera is having a modification. It is a fabulous car, and if your doing high miles I would suggest the diesel would be the best option. I'm getting 35 mpg at the moment, and it feels faster than the 2.2.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Economy isn't so much of an issue as i get company fuel - but if i get petrol, i can still use my other car for work without switching fuel type

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm after a petrol version as its easier to keep using my wifes car for work if i need too

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm after a petrol version as its easier to keep using my wifes car for work if i need too

what a lame excuse after admitting to owning a mondeo are you sure your not sniffing the stuff

only joking!!

i previously owned a bmw 330 sport and now have the 2.4 ti feel much safer in the alfa much more planted especially in the wet i feel alfa gets a raw deal from car critics

test drive one hopefully you wont be disappointed :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts