Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air con in my 156 2.0 TS Facelift has stopped working. The light on the dash comes on but the compressor doesn't engage. I've looked at the relays but here is the problem.

According to the relay cover the air con relay is on the bottom right. I can start the car and push the air con button on the dash. The compressor won't engage. Now if I tap the relay marked "Fan" (marked in red), the compressor switches on immediately. If I remove the "air con" relay (marked in yellow) the car eventually chokes off.

Could the markings on the cover be incorrect? Are these relays available from spares outlets or from dealers only?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Alfanatix

I have seen other posts on here where relays had been swapped around and by that I mean the sockets had been moved about and clipped back together in the wrong order.

It sounds to me that this is what has happened at some point in the past with yours. The fact that tapping the red relay causes the compressor to come on suggests that this is the air-con relay and that it's either a bit corroded or just on the way out. New ones aren't too expensive (about a tenner for a proper Magnetti Marrelli but you can probably get them cheaper from a motor factor).

The other relay which looks like it should be for A/C could actually be for engine management/ignition hence your engine stopping when removed.

Hopefully a bit of detective work, relay replacement (or clean up) and sort out of the sockets into the right order should sort it for you.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys.

I'm gonna try and swap the two relays next to each other as they are identical. See if the other one works. Only thing is I have no idea what I'm swapping it with as the cover is wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts