Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought an Alfa 147 and I've had a few problems with it so far...and am still having problems with it.

I was hoping that there might be someone around the Farnham/Guildford/Farnborough area who has access to a ramp or jacks of some sort and maybe a bit of knowledge about 147's. I know it's a long shot, but I wanted to try and find out what the problem was before taking it to the garage, as I'm on a bit of a tight budget at the moment.

I've got a knocking noise coming from the anti-roll bar area, so could be that or something to do with the suspension. If anyone is able to help me look at these parts and advise what they could be, then any advice would be greatly appreciated....even if it's just coming for a short trip with me and listening to the noise.

I've also got the dreaded flashing odometer for the first time today, so I'm hoping that might be a one-off (the Alfa owner hope and pray!). I've also had the central locking light coming on red when I start up in the morning, does that mean a sensor has been activated in the night?

Thanks for looking and any help at all would be greatly appreciated, otherwise my 147 could be moving on to another owner. I do love it, but not when it's costing me so much money, literally 2 months after purchasing it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
It'll either be the lower track control arm bushes or the ARB bushes, there both known weak points and regularly fail :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hybrid8V, do you know if it's possible to change the bushes or would I need to change complete assemblies? Is it a big job to change these parts?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The lower and upper arms need to be changed as complete units, the ARB bushes are seperate items, but id recommend getting a couple of droplink aswell as they can snaped easily if there really rusty.

The Lower arm is a bit of a pain to change but only due to the location of the other parts around it and them being designed to give strenth to the setup thus meaning that even when the bolts are out it can be a pain to make the strut move upwards and the arm downwards :rolleyes: but as a technical exersise its a simple case of undoing the pinch bolt at the hub, the securing bolt to the strut, the ARB droplinks (do both sides even if you only changing one arm as it'll be alot easier to move it out of the way) and the 4 bolts securing the arm to the subframe.

As for the ARB bushes its a case of undoing the securing nut on the arm bothsides and lifting the arm away so you can get the old bushes off and fitt the new ones, if the new droplinks are needed you see the nut you need to undo to get them off. Then new bushes on and refit :D

HTH

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's really kind of you to outline the work that needs doing and thanks for making the description so detailed. Now all I've got to do is find somewhere to get my car up on ramps so I can do the work.

Thanks again,

Phil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if I'm feeling quite that keen, especially as I've never had the pleasure of changing these parts before. Is it normal for the ARB to move from side to side a bit? When I took it to the garage, I had a look underneath with the guy and there was some play in the ARB, maybe 10-15mm, but is tricky to say as I didn't move it myself.

·
Registered
88 Posts
there will be a tiny amount of give in the rubber but it should be fairly easy to distinguish between the rubber giveing and exessive play, 10-15mm is far to much and the offending bushes should be replaced really :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts