Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I need to turn passenger airbag off to place baby seat. According to manual we can do this from left menu. But inside it, I haven’t this option

Does anyone have idea what I’m doing wrong? Also I remember that about 5 years ago I had this item inside menu. I have no idea why it disappeared

Also i checked settings inside radionav - nothing about airbag

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 TCT, 2011, Radionav

Attachments

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Are you trying this when the car is stopped? i can only access this menu with my car stopped

·
Registered
278 Posts
Probably need to check for codes and airbag parameters using MES. You could try a reset by disconnecting the battery. You should see a warning light if you pull the F50 airbag fuse. The airbag module might be faulty but there should be a warning light. You can test that the warning light works in MES.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably need to check for codes and airbag parameters using MES. You could try a reset by disconnecting the battery. You should see a warning light if you pull the F50 airbag fuse. The airbag module might be faulty but there should be a warning light. You can test that the warning light works in MES.
I’ve checked it already, no errors inside airbag module. After checking fuse F50, i let you know

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Menu should definitely contain more items when the vehicle is stationary. Not sure if by stationary it is not just a case of engine off but whether it has to be out of gear (in park if a TCT) and the handbrake on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Menu should definitely contain more items when the vehicle is stationary. Not sure if by stationary it is not just a case of engine off but whether it has to be out of gear (in park if a TCT) and the handbrake on.
Thanks for the idea, I didn’t use handbrake at all

·
Registered
278 Posts
on my 2010, the menu item is there with any combination of engine on/off, clutch, handbrake. Any other menu items missing ? No, airbag module. Yes, bcm module. Try the battery reset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on my 2010, the menu item is there with any combination of engine on/off, clutch, handbrake. Any other menu items missing ? No, airbag module. Yes, bcm module. Try the battery reset.
According to manual, some options should be inside radionav. I’ve checked, only passenger airbag option lost. Battery reset haven’t shown anything new.
Body control module without errors too

·
Registered
278 Posts
Any countries where this option is removed as children are not allowed in the front seat ? I presume your country is set to Belarus in the BCM. Reseat the airbag module connectors or replace, used ones don't cost much on Ebay, not sure what else it could be apart from unlucky broken wire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any countries where this option is removed as children are not allowed in the front seat ? I presume your country is set to Belarus in the BCM. Reseat the airbag module connectors or replace, used ones don't cost much on Ebay, not sure what else it could be apart from unlucky broken wire.
Car was exported from the Netherlands and as I said, I had option a few years ago inside menu, what happened in this period of time i don’t know

Today inside the airbag module, I’ve found some intresting point, look at the picture
Computer Personal computer Laptop Black Netbook

Personal computer Computer Rectangle Font Material property

Switch has value ON according to description it means that airbag switched off, but nothing shows at dashboard, if so, how to turn it on/off?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was reading a 2019 handbook as my version doesn't say much about the airbags. I think the passenger airbags have been disabled as a failsafe because of a fault in the airbag system. Surely there should be more airbags showing as present in MES.

Edit: When you turn the key to MAR the passenger airbag symbol in the trim above the mirror should blink for a few secs then either go off or stay on. If there is a fault with this warning light then the airbag fault light in the dash should come on.

AFAIK there is no manual switch to disable the passenger airbags, like the 159/156 had as I recall.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Not an option in Australia - I was about to post surprise you even have the option!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was reading a 2019 handbook as my version doesn't say much about the airbags. I think the passenger airbags have been disabled as a failsafe because of a fault in the airbag system. Surely there should be more airbags showing as present in MES.

Edit: When you turn the key to MAR the passenger airbag symbol in the trim above the mirror should blink for a few secs then either go off or stay on. If there is a fault with this warning light then the airbag fault light in the dash should come on.

AFAIK there is no manual switch to disable the passenger airbags, like the 159/156 had as I recall.
Airbag fault blinks fo a sec, when i turn MAR position, and goes off. It’s normal behavior as I know.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Car was exported from the Netherlands and as I said, I had option a few years ago inside menu, what happened in this period of time i don’t know

Today inside the airbag module, I’ve found some intresting point, look at the picture
View attachment 966036
View attachment 966035
Switch has value ON according to description it means that airbag switched off, but nothing shows at dashboard, if so, how to turn it on/off?
No. Passenger airbag is enabled. The passenger airbag exclusion switch is ON which means you can't turn the airbag off. So no faults , just not sure why MES isn't showing the other airbags as present - red herring.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Doesn't appear so although you said the option was there a few years ago. You've changed your flag to lithuania haven't you ? EU countries should be able to disable the airbag but what country/language is your car set to ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doesn't appear so although you said the option was there a few years ago. You've changed your flag to lithuania haven't you ? EU countries should be able to disable the airbag but what country/language is your car set to ?
No, I don’t know how to do that. How can I check? Does it resolve by GPS position?

PS. Now I am in Belarus, but for some reasons I am using vpn for access internet, that’s why flag looks like Lithuania :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not sure how country specific features are implemented, if it is hardcoded into the BCM. The alarm setting has the only country option I can see in MES. Maybe some newer cars use the GPS. In your case I don't know why the passenger airbag deactivation is missing as the country is surely set to either Holland or EEC.

I just assumed the flag was set according to the profile location, it is back to Belarus today ! Don't see the logic of setting the flag based on what server you login from.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts