Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through forum to try and cure rough tickover decided to take out cam solenoids assuming that they may not work properly causing rough idle. Reply from my last post suggested oil change might sort it out hence checking for crud in solenoids. Fine mesh strainer looked a bit sludged up so cleaned out but expected that I should be able to move the spring loaded plunger bit inside that you can see on end. this not the case. Should this element inside body slide in and out against the spring you can see? Strange that put them back and idle now normal, guess just sludge preventing oil pressure getting to solenoid. Still want to know how they work and what they do, assume oil pressure changes and alters cam timing a bit?. Anyone?

·
Registered
477 Posts
AFAIK engine ECU tells solenoids to adjust pressure in phaser to ensure cam timing is optimised to load/ revs etc.. The engine oil provides the hydraulics to change phaser/cam angle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting thanks. Guess restriction to oil supply meant lack of hydraulic pressure to solenoid and cma timing stuck in one position. Runs fine now.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Do i get a pat on the back for my advice then? Ive done two of the same and the oil and filter change has done the trick.Actually i advise an oil flush as well which i do to these engines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts