Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I guess that this is a good time for me to ask my first serous question on AO :)

So, about a month ago, while normally driving along, in one moment the power from the engine was instantly taken away, just like I'd release the gas pedal. When I pressed the pedal to the end, nothing happend - I had to put my leg off the pedal and when I stepped on the pedal again, it was working normally again, like nothing happened. This went on for a week or so. I usually do around 40-50 kilometers per day, and in that first week that has happened 0 to 2 times per day. After a week Motor Control System Failure light has appeared on my display and in that time power was never automatically taken away. All worked fine. I've called a frend of mine, and he checked my car with AlfaDiag and found out, that a Camshaft sensor was causing the MCSF light. He deleted the error.
After the light was turned off, the problem with gas repeated again after 2 days. Soon after that the MCSF light went on again, and this time there was finally a combination of MCSF light and power lose present. That was week two. :D
Then MCSF light was off again. Then came the annoying part: The next time it went on, in the same second, power was lost again. I had to press the gas pedal 3-7 times, before the car realised that I've pressed the pedal again. Quite annoying. After a kilometer or two of kicking the gas pedal like using the old sewing machine, gas was working fine again, MCSF was obviously still on.

Today, I drove my car to the service, where they replaced the Camshaft sensor (and thermostat, which was not working for the last few months :rolleyes:). After a few hours I got it back and I was the happiest person alive - my car was flawless........for the 15 kilometers :rant: After that, the gas was taken away again, but the next kick got it back. No MCSF light so far.

So, that made me thinking: Probably the potentiometer on the gas pedal is here to blame.
Is it possible, that the potentiometer is damaged and that he is messing the Camshaft sensor to mailfunction?
I have a chance to get a spare potentiometer for 60€ (I could buy a new one at the service area, but it only comes in a bundle with new gas pedal, so the price for this is around 300€ - thanks but no thanks) but what if a problem is somewhere lese? I really don't get it.

My car is 147 JTD m-jet (140hp) year 2003.

PS: Sorry for extremley detailed description of my problem, but I guess, that there is no other way :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to update: Today, I was struggling again to make 25 kilometers. After 20km MCSF light turned on, and car has entered into safe-mode (no turbo). Looks like that this time the Camshaft sensor is not the cause...
Still wondering about that potentiometer....

·
Registered
656 Posts
The pedal potensiometer would not cause the camshaft sensor to malfunction. You could have a faulty pedal potensiometer as you have stated or it might be poor connection

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Today my friend checked my car with his laptop and found that turbo pressure sensor was causing the MCSF. MCSF light went off automatically, just a few minutes after we've connected laptop to the car.
We've also managed to see, that in the moment, when I loose the gas, potentiometer is still working, so potentiometer seems to be flawless.
Alid1, tomorrow I'll check all the cables and connectors from the potentiometer to the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alfa 147 motor control systems failure!!

I have a similar problem with my 1.6 147 Lusso (reg 2003). I have had loss of power, it feels like the engine is "missing" almost like fuel starvation. It does not cut out totally but runs awfully. It seems that once it has cooled down, it runs ok for about 30 miles and starts again.
The first time I had no warning light, then today the MCSF light came up..... HELP!!:cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a few extra visits at my mechanic, the fault was in the cables around the engine- they were damaged on some spots, and when short-ciruited, errors appeared. One of them was a non working gas pedal. Also MCSF lights stopped to turn on, after fixing these cables.
But I don't believe that you're facing the same problem as I was.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
help please?

Hi, i think i am having the same problem. when i put the accelerator down it seems like the pedal is disconnected until i remove my foot from the pedal for a second or so then apply it again. I commute 70 miles a day and can get this problem 40 times plus. I was told it was teh EGR valve or MAP sensor whih i have replaced both with genuine parts, all to no avail. Can you shed any more light on what cables were causing your problems? just i am at my ends wit trying to sort this out now. Spent well over £1000 already and it still isnt any better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't know exactly, where on the cables the error was. My mechanic told me, that it was somewhere around the engine area :confused:
I also spent around 700€, before removing this fault.

Now, once a month my car won't start in the first attempt. It's just turning endlessly. In the second attempt engine starts normally, but I recieve MCSF - Camshaft Position...:mad:

I'll need to take the car to a mechanic again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I really don't know exactly, where on the cables the error was. My mechanic told me, that it was somewhere around the engine area :confused:
I also spent around 700€, before removing this fault.

Now, once a month my car won't start in the first attempt. It's just turning endlessly. In the second attempt engine starts normally, but I recieve MCSF - Camshaft Position...:mad:

I'll need to take the car to a mechanic again :rolleyes:
I also get the camshaft sensor MCSF randomly. However, the car always starts fine on a second attempt and drives normally and the fault clears after a day. It's pretty infrequent (twice a month perhaps) so I just ignore it and put it down as an Alfa quirk, don't think it's worth spending money on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts